ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dell BSOD please help

Just got off the phone to him, he had the gpu upgraded when at dell... there was 2 heat pads, a brown and blue one on the cpu... and nothing on the gpu... does that mean what i think..? some kid has put 2 on the cpu and nothing on the gpu, sounds likely to me...

All i need to do is get the gold connectors back on, the wireless is working it just has no signal because the antenna is missing the gold connectors, if i could get that to work it would be nice!!

Evo 5 RS
3dmark 06 is probably the most appropriate, you can leave the free version on loop test. The GPU should have at the very least a heat sink, very small amount of thermal paste on the inner part

Cheers for your help mate, and all the others,

Got the gold connectors on, not properly at all, but i have 2 bars of internet and its surprisingly fast! ill await the replacement antenna and get it in, its been f**king hard work for me but im chuffed to bits now, i bet it blue screens to kick me in the b****cks but hope not... think it will be ok now

Think someone put 2 thermal pads on the cpu and none on the gpu, was bone dry... think that was the problem a mistake by whoever put it together, with a fresh install without all dells crap on its running perfect much faster etc, getting anti virus on and basic programs then giving it back, been a good learning curve for sure...

Ill run a test soon, cheers.

Ok so it came back to haunt me.... I stressed it myself and it was fine for a long while, plus updates installed for a long while, gave it back monday, he had it running for a fair while im not sure i would say 5 hours or something... today hes phoned me to say hes got the BSOD again,

So the heat sinks been reset with arctic silver 5, new fresh install of windows, and again its showed up after 2 days,

Now im thinking to myself, mainboard with graphics chip on... or similar... or its the hard drive?

Ive said to him really its something i cant diagnose myself anymore, any advice? on the hardware side, he doesnt expect me to solve anything after this. he knows its a favour and im just doing it to help him.. but again id like to see if i can solve it...

The hard drive did make a very slight clicking sound as said before but i didnt think it was that... so im suspecting hardware?

Have the laptop back with me today, my mate told me it was running ok for a while then BSOD'd... its now blue screening on start up, with the first error code: 0x000.....6B

Ive tried repair disk, start up repair, windows memory diagnostics (fine), memtest x86 (left it on so it did 3x inerations or runs) again fine,

Upon trying to do a start up repair i had error: the instruction at 0xfc00ca53 referenced memory at 0x5733cd18. the memory could not be read.

That is what made me think uh oh memory... so i did the above memory scans but its coming up as fine!

I cant be bothered to waste time with a fresh install again... im thinking hard drive or motherboard... possibly ram but tests are ok?!

Cant even get into safe mode i dont think, im basically trying my best then offloading it as too f**ked for me to deal with...

Help needed please !

EDIT: aslo, trying start up repair the list of problems are: 6.1.7600.16385, also 21201212, and also! corrupt registry... this is a fresh install how the faff can the registry be corrupt?

I'd say it's not worth trying to repair. It's clearly f'ked and if I was in your position it would have been handed back before now or put in the bin.

There is obviously a serious underlying fault here that's going to keep coming back.

How old is this laptop?

Evo 5 RS
as I said before, try lastly installing to a usb flash pen to see if the problem persists if you don't have a spare HDD.

Have the laptop back with me today, my mate told me it was running ok for a while then BSOD'd... its now blue screening on start up, with the first error code: 0x000.....6B
0x0000006B is typically hard disk or major corruption. Rebuild it.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Had a few issues like this with laptops, you got another unit you can swap out the RAM with ? If the HDD has slight platter clash it may BSOD when it tries to read from that section if the disk (clicking can be a sign of this normally caused from being dropped)

If the GPU is damaged from the high heat cycles you would normally get artefacts on the screen, my d630 got so hot it melted the solder attaching it to the board ;)

I'd say it's not worth trying to repair. It's clearly f'ked and if I was in your position it would have been handed back before now or put in the bin.

There is obviously a serious underlying fault here that's going to keep coming back.

How old is this laptop?

Cheers for helping me Adam wasn't getting any replies, yeah in my book its fucked but fixable i guess i think its too far gone for my hands, its just i feel like i've charged him and it should be working, but realisticly i need to drop that out and just refund him a bit...

Its about 15 months old.

as I said before, try lastly installing to a usb flash pen to see if the problem persists if you don't have a spare HDD.

The way i installed windows was ahem acquiring it then booting it off a new external hard drive... im thinking the copy of dell OEM windows could be causing it but seems no one else has had problems.

0x0000006B is typically hard disk or major corruption. Rebuild it.

If it was mind id stick new ram and hard drive in it, but i dont want to have him shell out for that and it be something else although in my head i think that would solve the problems as said below the graphics are working fine now and im not getting any screen glitches.

Had a few issues like this with laptops, you got another unit you can swap out the RAM with ? If the HDD has slight platter clash it may BSOD when it tries to read from that section if the disk (clicking can be a sign of this normally caused from being dropped)

If the GPU is damaged from the high heat cycles you would normally get artefacts on the screen, my d630 got so hot it melted the solder attaching it to the board ;)

Yeah not thought much about this before but the graphics are fine...

Ive now been told he used it for 2 days before it killed itself again, just documents and internet, antivirus was up to date and it was just general use... very annoying!

6B is typcially only seen at startup:

Debugger Help said:
The PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check has a value of 0x0000006B. This bug check indicates that the initialization of the Microsoft Windows operating system failed.

Any part of the disk subsystem can cause the PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED bug check, including bad disks, bad or incorrect cables, mixing different ATA-type devices on the same chain, or drives that are not available becuase of hardware regeneration.

This bug check can also be caused by a missing file from the boot partition or by a driver file that a user accidentally disabled in the Drivers tab.

You can find the most recent under Bugcheck event 1001 in the event log. Example:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000f4 (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa80083cab30, 0xfffffa80083cae10, 0xfffff80001de12d0). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 042011-37877-01.

The drive is a Hitachi i know they can fail ? ive always used Samsung spin point or Western Digital in my builds and theyve been fine,

Im thinking about when i had the cmos reset bios problem because i didn't switch the setting from AHCI to IDE, then switched it to IDE and windows loaded on... IDE is the right setting for an SATA drive yeah?

Sounds like the operating system has failed severely after 2 days then, ill be upfront i acquired the OEM dell install disk and booted it from a hard drive because i cant burn dual layer on my drive... so im thinking its most likely the hard drive on its ragged edge? or somehow the install i used was crap? but that wouldn't necessarily go after 2 days or being fine would it? so im thinking yeah... its the hard drive...?

Ill need to find one and quote cost and cost for rebuild and reinstall, but im just worried if it goes after that its more work i dont need at the moment.

Fresh install again and its working, only done a fresh install because he said the wireless stopped working, i was interested/worried that the wireless antenna wasnt worried, but its fine he had pressed alt + the turn wifi off which took me a few mins to figure out, finally got it working... im basically installing AVG and stressing it again wondering if the dell oem install the first time was somehow corrupt in one or two files, i transferred the install onto the hard drive and re installed it like said, so now i will see how it runs under stress...

Anyone got any opinions about the above please? a few heads are better than one