ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dell R210 / R410 servers - anyone have these?

Rav4
Hi,

Looking to buy some of these,

The R210 is replacing the R200.

Just wondered what your thoughts where and how loud ?

Thanks,

G.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Can do you good deals on HP servers... Didn't think anyone bought Dell anymore! What do you want? DL120 and DL160 about right by the looks of it?

Fiesta ST
Next time I order a server then I'm coming here so you two can undercut each other!

Gabi what you doing with your old servers?

Rav4
DK - I normally go to Lorna for the majority of our stuff. She is a good girl! Provides all the stuff when I need it, granted, not the cheapest but Softcat have been excellent to me and are an excellent company to work with, again, thanks for the introduction.

I go for Dells over HP's because for our requirements, they are basic, nothing big, Dells do the job and are cheaper, which enables me to actually get things agreed.

The reason I ask is because I am restructuring an office who are currently running on a workgroup, so need to get a couple of DC's in there, then another one to carry out WSUS/AV and some other stuff.

The R200's are smashing for DC's, however, R210's are new and would like to try them, depending on noise of course.

DK - you are the HP man!! If they were only cheaper, I could learn so much off you!!

I know you guys are prob going to say how do you price reliability i.e stating HP are better, but at the end of the day, cost is always associated to things, specially the smaller companies.

Longy - I am keeping some and donating some to a college that I used to go to, the majority of them are Dell 1650's, 1750's ( also known as jet engines ) 1950's and some old ML's. Sorry buddy.... if you are going to get some stuff, Softcat are the guys to use, I can provide you my account managers details if required.

Anyhow, anyone know?

(Please note, I am not associated with Softcat in any way other than them being my one of my main suppliers, I don't get comission or anything for recommending them, I simply like the companies attitude!)

dk

911 GTS Cab
gabi, just incase you didn't know, we sell a lot of Dell, so you can ask lorna for a dell price and we are one of their partners so seem to get good pricing, worth a try anyway.

Not really used any dell servers myself to know how loud they are, hp and dell rack servers are pretty identical really, just support, software and speed of delivery difference, blades are a different kettle of fish, but rack servers all use the same components and are much of a muchness really.

Better than yours. C*nt.
If the HP new generation is anything to go by, the servers should be a shade quieter as now they feature advanced thermal management which enables each zone to be monitored and controlled completely independent of each other - so if your processor 1 is a touch warm, processor 1 gets some fan rather than the whole server. A room of G6 HPs is eerily quiet...

Whether that transfers to Dells or not, I don't know - I look after the HP side of things however much like dk, we do do some Dell kit. Although our account manager seems to be a bit of a plonker, as every time we get a quote, the first one back is about £20 more than the Internet! LOL! Will ask one of the Dell geeks in the office tomorrow and report back for you.

Fiesta ST
I swear it's impossible to make money on Dell equipment. Customer can just got direct and get same price as us.

Rav4
Cool.

DK - thanks buddy, when I go there again, maybe we should go for a beer or something?

Mike - you fag :)

Longy - Yap, can haggle prices really.

Gabi - this is a boring post :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
I swear it's impossible to make money on Dell equipment. Customer can just got direct and get same price as us.
you aren't going about it right then, we definitely make money out of selling it, we wouldn't do it otherewise.

you have to play them at their own game, its like being at a market or an auction, they come down in the end though once they have tried it on, they have masses of margin to play with, but the sales guys are heavily targeted on the margin and what options they sell, they have to sell 2-300% of the cost of the server in options or they are in trouble.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair Hannah always gives us decent quotes on our HP kit.

The company who we use for our hardware maintenance have started trying to sell us more hardware and software but they can't usually get anywhere near.

I know on the last set of blades we bought they couldn't understand how you guys could do it so cheap reckoning you were actually losing money on the deal :p

She must get hacked off with my emails but I blame my boss, luckily she knows what he's like!

Ask her if she had fun with him today :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Lol, we do aim to please, and no matter how awkward you think you are being, I guarantee there are customers 10x as bad ;-)

we had a reporter from the times around today apparently, must be nearly time for the top companies thing again, think we were 3rd last year, the fact they are sniffing around must bode well I guess.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Well it's not that I'm particularly awkward, she just probably thinks wtf now. But to be fair most of our business lately has been given to you guys, although it's not a lot in the grand scheme of things.

Although the guys do have a habit of ordering some relatively monster blade configs :)

heh it's the first year or something they are doing a public sector top companies as we had to fill in some questionnaires, don't think it's far off now.

Anyway Matt already told me it's all a con :p

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
With a haunted house!

I like Matt's visits, nice chap, need to get him back down for a day soon but can't work out dates that suit.