ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Desktop Deployment solutions - RIS, GHOST etc

Not a 320d
Need some reccomendations, what would you use to roll out an xp image to multiple computers on a network. Preferably ones you have used and and what you thought about it/them.

NB: Im not actually doing this, just part of a research project related to MDST.

:)

Fiesta ST
Good shout, but i need something i can do over cat5/lan. No wireless in the network.

Your confused I think:

WDS = Windows Deployment Services

but yes it also used as a feature to link wireless access points together

WDS = Wireless Distribution System

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Novell Zenworks

No...... Novell = 666

I use ghost at work, easy and straight forward. Use it to deploy images over a whole secondary school with other 400 desktops + laptops.

For a small scale I would recommend RIS. Are you running a server? if so what OS are you using.

Not a 320d
i did about 40 images with ghost last month, it was straight forward enough, what do you need to know?

Ah my bad, im not sure in all honesty its part of my coursework, ive never done it myself and i needed to come up with a solution to basically install windows Xp on 200 machines on a network. The project is not related to the network in any way what so ever.

Itll be running a server, so im thinking along the lines of RIS as im sure Windows Server has this on it already. Ill look into ghost too.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
I use RIS/WDS to deploy images to the systems at my work.. works well and combined with AD GP it's quite flexible.

DCi
Ah my bad, im not sure in all honesty its part of my coursework, ive never done it myself and i needed to come up with a solution to basically install windows Xp on 200 machines on a network. The project is not related to the network in any way what so ever.

Itll be running a server, so im thinking along the lines of RIS as im sure Windows Server has this on it already. Ill look into ghost too.
lol well ghost was pretty simple to use over a network

i was trying to find a way to put the image + software on a DVD and just boot it up but i couldn't get a DVD to work in DOS :(

DMS

A thirsty 172
We use SCCM 2007 at most of the schools we support. All computers in the schools get re-imaged at the end of every half term with the latest image build we've made. One of our schools in Manchester had all 3,800 or so computers re-imaged in the space of a week, usually managing several hundred at a time. You should have seen the lights on the SANs flashing while doing that... could have held a rave in the server room if we'd got some good tuneage and a few E's.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Currently using Ghost for all our desktops and laptops as it's quick and easy.

Might look at using SCCM when we come to do windows 7, OSD was pretty s**t with SMS though, how long does a build take with sccm?