ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

diffrent types of speakers

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
Hi guys, as above realy.
im after some decent bassy speakers and im confused as to what all the diffrent types of speakers are and what they do. I.e. full range and coaxials and all that, im not sure which ones i need.

any help would be great cheers.

Clio Mk3
dunno much myself but you need a subwoofer to get the bass and i think front speakers are components and rear coaxial ?

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
i have got a sub but i dont want to fit that in. i was just wondering what all these diffrent types of speakers offer in terms of sound n bass or w.e.

Megane 1.6 Dynamique
If its sound quality your after, you'll want get some components fitted, upgrade the door speakers to 8-9" components, maybe upgrade the tweets in the dash and get some midranges if you dont want to use a sub.

Full range/coax speakers are basically tweets/mids in one and dont tend to sound too crackin esp when put in a parcel shelf, but they are usually cheaper on price.

Just depends how much youve got and weather its quality or quantity your after but the major adv of components to coax is they sound alot better but are abit more tricky to install. Wheres as coax are the opposite.

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
ok cheers mate, well im just aftre some decent door speakers that will kick out some decent bass and some vocal as well. im not after it being really loud or anything, i just want some good quality bass speakers

1.2 Clio
Get 13cm components in the front, well amped up, running via a good HU. Then possibly get rear co-ax's with them faded out a bit, (don't drag the stage back.) Then if needs be get a sub.
You could also try and fit 17cm components. But you may need to cut the door itself, as well as make up MDF baffles,.

Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Definitly get comps then, ive got standard tweets with some infinity comps in the front and its sounds sweet.

I unplugged the rear speakers aswell beacuse they'd struggle when i crankd up the beats.

Megane 1.6 Dynamique
Components are basically 1 speaker doing one job in 1 position.

Coaxials are 2-3 speakers doing 2-3 jobs in 1 position.

1.4 clio & ctr ep3
so im after coaxials then arnt I? as im after vocal and decent bass from one speaker? Standard speakers in cars do more than one job, so are they coaxials as well?

Megane 1.6 Dynamique
A decent size component in the front door will give you your mids/lows and coupled with the dash tweeter would sound fine.

Rather than putting a coax in the door because then youve got treble from the dash and the door & would sound abit distorted.

Where are you putting the new speakers? Coax are generally best in the back somewhere.

Dip

04 Clio 16V Dynamique
This thread is becoming confusing by the minute...
Comps - single driver designed to reproduce frequencies in a given range i.e Treble through tweeters and bass through woofer. Dedicated ranges so you get quality in your sound.
Co-Axials - consists of a midrange/woofer with a tweeter placed over the cone both in part. Cheaper alternative to Comps and generally you lose out on sound quality.

vaux cavalier
Speaker info;

Coaxials---One unit, (multiple speakers), supplying full range sound, (can be 2way, 3way or 4way)....
2way coaxials;
tsg1302i.gif

Components---Multiple seperate units, (components), supplying full range sound, (can be 2way or 3way)....

These generally consist of a passive crossover, mid bass driver & tweeter, a 3way set will include a mid range driver, so 3 seperate speakers per side....
3way components;
cxs6.gif

The addition of the seperate crossover network gives greater control & hence quality over simple coaxial speakers....

If your after decent bass from the front end alone, then I would advise a set of 3way components, amplifier driven & mounted in deadened & sealed front doors....

Most after market components are designed to be ran in conjunction with some form of sub, they simply won't reproduce low frequencies....