ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital Camera Choices

Ok, im after a new digital camera and struggling to decide which one i want, my current choices are below and all have pro's and con's so i thought id seek some advice from people with a better knowledge than me.

The choices are as follows:

Fuji S5700
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/digital/cameras/s5700/

Samsung NV5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N20LTA/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Samsung NV10
http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2006/09/20/Samsung-NV10/p1

Fuji F480
http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/digital-cameras/advanced-compact/finepix-f480-9915

The S5700 is the current front runner as every review ive read about it has raved how good it is, my only problem with it is the size and whether i will evetually tire of it being so big.

I just wish the NV10 had a better zoom and it would make the decision so much easier for me but 3x zoom compared to the 7x of the NV5 and S5700 doesnt compare really.

And while the F480 is my least favourite of all of them, its currently on offer at Boots down to £100 and then i can get another 12.5% off on top of that, so for that price it has to be a consideration.

tbh the ammount of optical zoom isnt an issue you quickly learn that using a dslr where you are quite often stuck with what you have got on the front of the camera at the time at the moment i have no zoom at all and tbh i find using it alot better than my old compact

but when i had my compact it would never zoom in enough

erm im not sure non of them would be on my list tbh have you had a look at the canons

I know it shouldnt be a consideration but i dont think i could use something like the Cannon Ixus on a daily basis without thinking about how ugly it was everytime i saw it.

yup not pretty cameras but very good quality. tbh i need a new compact for taking out when i cant be arsed to take out the big one really want a canon powershot g9 http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Pro...gital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_G9/index.asp

lot of money though for a backup

G9 is impressive, my ixus 70 is a great sidecam to an SLR because of its size, no protuding parts to catch and fits in any pocket! I think its great looking, but i think its a marmite camera!

Sorry JJ but the Ixus range just really doesnt tickle me.

Very nice choice McBunny, my problem is that for the money im looking at spending theres alot of choices out there and its just working out which is going to be the best for me.
As much as id love the Fuji S5700 i really think that after a while the size would become an issue, so im having to look for a compact and theres loads out there that are very similar just with a few differences

Not all about looks, the Ixus give some of the best results in its class and above but if looks are more important... why the hell are you looking at those Fugly samsungs?!

I wouldnt say looks are important, i could handle having a camera that looked OK at best but i suppose i have an unusual taste in cameras as i think those Samsungs, especially the NV5 look like sex

Not all about looks, the Ixus give some of the best results in its class and above but if looks are more important... why the hell are you looking at those Fugly samsungs?!

that man speaks the truth lol they are ugly

i dunno i but them for technical reasons rather than them looking sexy when i pull them out of my pocket/bag

But i am more of a point and shoot man who wouldnt mind having a few extra features to use occassionally, so where as they may not be the best on the market they meet my needs, rather than someone like yourself who is obviously into photography in a big way and so the full spec of the camera is more important.

As much as i love photography i know i will never have time to get into it as much as i want so im happy to settle for a good compact to take with me

samsung-nv5.JPG

Its like a compact/SLR love child thats gone horribly wrong lol!

Not sure about quality of product either.... but as Clart mentioned earlier, his camera is a pretty good choice!

If you just want a simple point and shoot I would go for a Canon, Casio of fujifilm, the fuji being an excellent camera for lowlight situations. (F31FD I think)

Very noisy I imagine but at lower ISO (from DPreview)

'But let's not forget, the FinePix F31fd offers a tantalizing glimpse of how very different compact cameras would be if all manufacturers put as much effort into developing sensor and processing technology as they do into designing and marketing pretty cameras with features no one ever asked for. Our tests show that the F31fd's sensor gives you at least a two-stop advantage over the best that conventional CCD technology can offer, and in many cases a three-stop advantage, with ISO 800 output that can rival some cameras at ISO 200.'

And the 'ugly' ixus 70

'Although you pay a bit more for the Canon IXUS 70 then you do with many other pocket sized digital cameras you do get good value for money. This is a good all round camera that outperforms the majority of its rivals in most areas. It also has the added bonus of a viewfinder. Recommended.'