ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Digital dash/speedo

Radical SR3
Anyone fitted a digital dash in their clio? Ive always fancied one and thinking I might fit a cup racer dash at the same time. Apart from the prohibitively expensive stack units...anyone tried the cheaper ones on the market? Id want to do away with the clocks completely and for now be road legal. Any thoughts on how to fit them to the stock loom/sensors? Any pics would be great to get an idea.

Unless you're running the cup racer ECU a cup racer dash won't work.

Replacing the dash is a much more complicated process than people understand, especially if you want to keep the stock ECU and retain all functionality.

I had a play a while ago with an ADL3 I had kicking about and had the key functions all working, but didn't bother pursuing it.

Unless you're very good at electronics and understand vehicle electrical architectures, don't bother attempting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
ive bought a race technology dash2, http://www.race-technology.com/upload/DASH2_datasheet.pdf to be fitted to my track car.

It reads all the data off the ECU with a link cable as well as having all the appropriate warning lights for MOT etc

wpid-20120725_183718.jpg

its very very configuarble too, displays gear aswell using a few equations.

It gets even better if you conbine it with their DL1 datalogger....

Think chip has one aswell

Radical SR3
Nice...sorry james I meant the actual dashboard not the cup racer speedo/rev gauge. So can you get an adaptor loom to fit the clio for a digi dash ?

Might be a lot of effort but I like tinkering and love these sorts of things.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They may have to find something else then now because the ginger kids are getting them aswell.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The RaceTech Dash2 and Dash4 units are amazing products... just a shame you need a bloody PHD in applied mathematics to work out the sensor value conversion (unless you opt to buy/use CanBus)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
If you're planning on using CAN, be sure to ask up front whether Race Technology provide the CAN templates. If they don't, a PHD in applied mathematics won't even help you!

This is also very true and is why it won't work with a standard ECU via CAN as Renault won't allow it. They do though provide the templates for some aftermarket ECU's which they have listed on the website but you have to read it in full and understand the information to before you buy as this stuff isn't cheap.

I myself am planning on running mine off of good old fashioned analogue inputs. I just hope I can use/calibrate a standard Renault gearbox speed sensor over their generic speed wheel.

This is also very true and is why it won't work with a standard ECU via CAN as Renault won't allow it.

It won't work with a standard ECU because Race Technology won't have the decode for the CAN bus. If you have the decode, then you can run an aftermarket dash instead of the OEM unit and it doesn't have anything to do with Renault allowing it as such, other than them not publishing the information.

You could try reverse engineering the CAN bus, but good luck with that!

This is also very true and is why it won't work with a standard ECU via CAN as Renault won't allow it. They do though provide the templates for some aftermarket ECU's which they have listed on the website but you have to read it in full and understand the information to before you buy as this stuff isn't cheap.

I myself am planning on running mine off of good old fashioned analogue inputs. I just hope I can use/calibrate a standard Renault gearbox speed sensor over their generic speed wheel.

AFAIK Chip has his speed setup using the OEM setup.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yeah but he isn't, at a guess, using CAN data to run it

Its on the topics for discussuon list at bedford though

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not for data acquisition im not, it's way too much effort just to get coolant temp and engine speed to the dash so im sticking with analogue input. I believe the data transfer rate for the dash is really slow to so engine speed wouldn't update particularly fast and thats IF I could make it work with a stock comms setup as previously mentioned.

I will be seeing Chip at Bedford though and had always intended to have a good sniff around his car to see how he'd got vehicle speed working.

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Vechical speed can be done with hall sensor on existing abs setup or using ph1 172/megane electronic speed sensor from gearbox.

Ok. I'm trying to get hold of a database that I can work with/through vector to setup comms between Dash2 / SC typhoon (EC1)... Proving to be elusive at the moment even though the TDF ECU is supposedly supported by RT directly.