ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dipped beam issues 182

Clio 182
I've got a problem with my headlights on the dipped "low" beam where the 2 different bulbs are lighting up.

So, on the passenger side, the standard (H7?) bulb is coming on but on the drivers side, the main beam bulb (H7?) is lighting up.

It's a Clio 182 with the HID's.

Anyone know what the issue is?

Are there separate connectors for each lamp - one for main beam, one for dipped? (i.e. two on each side of the car)

Or is it one connector for each side of the car?

If the first option, are the connectors swapped over in error? lol

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
There's only one connector per side. I can't see why the wrong onw would come on though as the dipped beam get their power through the ballast. The wiring for the high beam is totally seperate after the connector. Ony way they could be doing that is if the connector is full of corrosion. Pull the headlamps off and have a look.

Clio 182
Are there separate connectors for each lamp - one for main beam, one for dipped? (i.e. two on each side of the car)

Or is it one connector for each side of the car?

If the first option, are the connectors swapped over in error? lol

Haven't touched the headlights since I bought it (and they worked before!), so can't be that haha

Clio 182
There's only one connector per side. I can't see why the wrong onw would come on though as the dipped beam get their power through the ballast. The wiring for the high beam is totally seperate after the connector. Ony way they could be doing that is if the connector is full of corrosion. Pull the headlamps off and have a look.

Will do

Clio 182
Light is now off, the actually unit looks OK but have found this dodgy looking wiring behind it.

Pretty useless with electricals but looks like someone was worse :D. Anyone know what it is? And if I can just remove the red wiring/orange unit and reconnect the grey to grey?

Attachments

• IMG_5235.JPG
    IMG_5235.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_5236.JPG
    IMG_5236.JPG
    273.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5237.JPG
    IMG_5237.JPG
    230 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_5238.JPG
    IMG_5238.JPG
    259.1 KB · Views: 127
What's the orange thing? Seems to say 50W 6ohm?

Is it just going between the earthing point and whatever else it's attached to at the other end?

It's definitely had some bodging done :D lol

Clio 182
What's the orange thing? Seems to say 50W 6ohm?

Is it just going between the earthing point and whatever else it's attached to at the other end?

It's definitely had some bodging done :D lol

Don't know as I didn't put it there haha, I assume it's part of a sound system that no longer exists.

It just goes from the earth bolt then the red wire comes out of that and splits into the grey as per the pictures.

Clio 182
Hmm someone has been having fun in there. If you rearrange the wires so they match the side that works OK that should fix it I reckon.

Other side has the orange thing too, maybe the connector isn't as dodgy that side.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, that is odd. I'd start by removing them and seeing if there's any identifying marks on them. Seems very odd to wire in stereo gear at the Front of the car for the sake of an earth point. And why two of them? Maybe they were for some dodgy drl's or something?

Clio 182
So, removed said orange unit and re-wired the grey wiring.... still the same issue :(

See pictures attached, 2 show the headlights lit up, 1 is a close up of orange block (no part number) and 2 show a connector I noticed nearby that isn't attached to anything.

Anyone know what it is.... google isn't coming up with anything other than "wiring harness" and "TDC". Part number 197589.

Also now thinking it's the passenger side that is lighting up the wrong bulb, not the driver side? That one also has the caps missing, so need to source those too.

Attachments

• IMG_5249.JPG
    IMG_5249.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5250.JPG
    IMG_5250.JPG
    208.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5256.JPG
    IMG_5256.JPG
    225 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_5257.JPG
    IMG_5257.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5258.JPG
    IMG_5258.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 121

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
That just looks like the duped beam isn't working on the passenger side. Try swapping the ballasts and igniter (or plug the drivers headlamp in the passenger side) to make sure the wiring is OK.
I have spare ballast and ignitor and probably some rear covers if you need some.

Clio 182
That just looks like the duped beam isn't working on the passenger side. Try swapping the ballasts and igniter (or plug the drivers headlamp in the passenger side) to make sure the wiring is OK.
I have spare ballast and ignitor and probably some rear covers if you need some.

Tested headlights on opposite wiring, as before it's still the same so wiring OK.

Pictures below, for reference the one with the "made in China" sticker on is the one that's working ok.

Attachments

• IMG_5265.JPG
    IMG_5265.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5266.JPG
    IMG_5266.JPG
    315.9 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5267.JPG
    IMG_5267.JPG
    305.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5268.JPG
    IMG_5268.JPG