ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Discovered a problem, advice appreciated

Ph2 182 Clio
Evening,

Just had my car on the ramp for the first time since buying it last Thursday, it's fair to say I've opened a can of worms with this one! Can anyone give me advice on this? People at my local garage recommended I need a new calliper. Whilst that's off I might as well get new discs and pads. Anyone help with pricing at all and advise me if it is the calliper?

Many thanks

Smurf:)
http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums...4-03/B92F0551-593F-4C53-A99A-D25FC1804B3C.jpg

Ph2 182 Clio
B92F0551-593F-4C53-A99A-D25FC1804B3C.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Smurf_182

If you touch it is it fluid or grease like? As far as I can see there is no problem with that other than a touch of grease has come out of the cover.

That cover goes over the handbrake mechanism which is a lever on the back of the piston, no fluid under there .

At worse if it's fluid just get a second hand caliper for about £10 or rebuild it using a bigredd kit.

If it's grease I wouldn't do anything.

Ph2 182 Clio
grazo22

Yeah it seems too runny to be grease so i'm guessing its gonna be brake fluid which is quite a concern. If I pull that cover off i'll see the mechanism right?
Thanks for your help buddy!

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
Yep. You can remove the cable tie and then you'll be able to see the mechanism, won't cause any loss of fluid.

If if is fluid leaking it sounds like one of the seals has gone.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If the discs and pads are ok, just fit a second hand caliper and carry on with life.

Many.
Discs and pads from Renault Wolverhampton, £99 for discs and pads I believe still.

Second hand caliper would be my choice too, if its leaking back there it could be cracked internally.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Discs and pads from Renault Wolverhampton, £99 for discs and pads I believe still.

Second hand caliper would be my choice too, if its leaking back there it could be cracked internally.

£99?? Blimey that's cheap.

Many.
Just checked, Adam posted that price today too.

Is bloody cheap, but G172 will also price match I believe (Did last year for me anyway).

Ph2 182 Clio
Thanks for the help guys. Don't know if it's just me but I wouldn't like the thought of a second hand caliper. :D

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Don't think you'll like the price of a new caliper mate ;)

You can get a second hand caliper or pair while you're at it and completely rebuild/refurb/paint them etc

Have a search few people have done this recently