ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DNS NUMBER ? hooking up ps2 for online use and need dns number ?

Audi TT 225
On your computer go to "start" then "run", type in "cmd" without the quotes. Type "ipconfig /all"
Scroll up if required and you should see the DNS entry. If your using a router then it would be the same as the routers IP or your computers default gateway.

Clio_Smart
put my ip address in the network config on the ps2 and its been over half an hour and same message " this should take around a minute" :S

Audi TT 225
Maybe a little more info on your setup would be helpful mate?

Are you using a router? make model or are you trying to use connection sharing via your pc?
How is it all connected? wireless, rj45? usb?
What IP address did you use?

Correct this should be instant once you get the right address.

most routers use 192.168.0.1 as the gateway and dns. Do you know your ISP's DNS server IP address? Check their web site.
Or take a screen shot of the command prompt window after you've done an ipconfig /all

Clio_Smart
lol :eek:

Well i have a cable (black) come into the cable modem(broadband) then a ethernet cable goes into my pc but i put that cable into my ps2 for online use but its taking ages for it to ok the dns number i put in (ip address)

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Ok so you have a cable modem and you connect it to your computer using an ethernet cable.

On your PC...
- Connect the ethernet cable
- Ensure Internet is working
- Click Start and then Click Run
- Type in CMD and Click OK
At the prompt type in...
- ipconfig /all

From the info given you should be able to see your DNS server under the details for your local area network. :)

Use these IP details on the PS2 - NOT the one you got from www.whatismyipaddress... etc etc.

This should have you sorted. :) Alternatively call the Sony Tech Support line or wait for someone to answer as I'm going home from work!!

500bhp Scoob
the modem will need resetting, as it only talks to 1 mac at a time, so its basically not listening to anything else other than your PC.
Reset the modem, after you've plugged the cat5 cable into the ps2, then try setting up online play...

You'll have to set the PS2 up to use DHCP, as the details you have gotten from ipconfig /all on your PC will only be relavent to your PC, as the MAC address for your ps2 is different, therefore your IP will be different for the PS2 also, as the DHCP lease will be for that MAC.

Clio_Smart
so what have i got to do lol

How do i reset my modem and do i have to do this everytime i want change from pc to ps2.

can you tell me a step by step guide lol :eek:

500bhp Scoob
to reset the modem, just unplug the power lead for it, and plug it back in, just makes the modem reboot.

Aslong as the PS2 can do DHCP, you'll be fine (i would've thought it should do)

You will have to do it every time you swap that cable over, unless you subscribe to blueyonders/virgin media's ps2/xbox broadband package which allows 2 clients to be connected to the modem at a time... e.g PS2 and PC, but thats extra

Clio_Smart
Thanks

So ill just pulll the cable from the modem and then put it back in then put the ethernet into my ps2 and put the dns numbers in again and it should eb fine ?

500bhp Scoob
You shouldn't need the DNS numbers at all, I'm sure on the PS2 it'll use DHCP instead, which will set that up for you anyway.

Unplug modem power lead, put ethernet cable from modem into ps2, turn on modem, turn on ps2, set up networking (select DHCP, not static IP) and it should sort itself out.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
At least you got it sorted :) Now you've just got to get the PS3 sorted in a few weeks time ;)

Clio_Smart
lol

I dont think ill get one.

Im not totally into games.

But ages ago when i was going to import a couple i was hoping to get my for myself and save the hassle of getting over here then i would have one.

But it didnt work out but no botherd as i said not totally into games.

DCi
This used to happen loads across various forums but I haven't seen it for a while until these. I'm pretty sure if you post a link to a site on another site it's got some kind of SEO benefit which is why it happens

Could be wrong / out of date though...

(Didn't know the ps2 had a network socket!!)

SQ5
This used to happen loads across various forums but I haven't seen it for a while until these. I'm pretty sure if you post a link to a site on another site it's got some kind of SEO benefit which is why it happens

Could be wrong / out of date though...

(Didn't know the ps2 had a network socket!!)

It didn't, well the original didn't, unsure about slim variations.

You bought a bit that fitted in the rear expansion bit with an Ethernet port!