ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Do Camera's hold their value well?

Italian 3.2 V6
As title really. Iv had a 1000D for a couple years now. I was thinking of selling it and upgrading to a better model.

What value should my cannon have? (as new condition, standard lens).

Sorry bit of a camera rookie tbh.

Thanks.

Italian 3.2 V6
Yea I did have a quick look on eBay.

I'm not 100% yet but I was looking at the 550D. Would like to get a couple good lenses too.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Camera's don't really hold their value well imo - your camera should still be able to give some cracking results.

What lenses do you have and what lenses do you want to buy?

I would stick with the body and invest any photography funds in lens. A new body won't make a great deal of difference, but a decent lens can potentially have a huge impact and will hold a fairly strong value if you need to let it go or want to upgrade.

Decent lenses hold their value pretty well, but bodies are like laptops....a new one comes out so often that they just plummet in price after a while.

172 and vw passat
Iv been trying to sell my nikon d3000 for awhile, but not really wanting to put it on eBay as i hear horror storys of people saying they never recived items. and im just wanting to upgrade aswell to the D90.

I haven't bothered selling my D200 body, even though it was £800 ish back in the day.

I'd get peanuts for it now, so not worth it really. It still comes in handy from time to time though.

I got a D40 brand new a few years ago. Sold it 2 years later for more than I paid for it.

It depends how good a deal you got in the first place.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Iv been trying to sell my nikon d3000 for awhile, but not really wanting to put it on eBay as i hear horror storys of people saying they never recived items. and im just wanting to upgrade aswell to the D90.

eBay is full of clowns. Either sell it as collection only .. or as an insured, signed for, valued parcel, courier service. Don't send it the cheapest way you can.

172 and vw passat
I haven't bothered selling my D200 body, even though it was £800 ish back in the day.

I'd get peanuts for it now, so not worth it really. It still comes in handy from time to time though.

I thought about just buying the new one and keeping the d3000 but i think it will just collect dust in the cupboard..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I got a D40 brand new a few years ago. Sold it 2 years later for more than I paid for it.

It depends how good a deal you got in the first place.

That doesn't really answer the question at all does it..

As said, there will always be a new body periodicly, glass on the other hand is down to craftmanship and thus will hold their value better.

I sold my D90 and Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR on eBay this year (over £1500 worth of stuff) but you need to be really careful. When setting it up I used the bidder options to block anyone with low feedback, with non paying notices, anyone without Paypal etc, basically doing my best to only receive bids from legit buyers. They were then posted with their full value declared via Royal Mail Special Delivery. I was pretty nervous and probably wouldn't do it again, safer to sell to somebody trusted on Talk Photography, here or to one of the companies that deal with second hand stuff.

I've sold some stuff to MPB Photographic as they collect it with their own courier etc, very easy and stress free but obviously you won't get as much for the stuff.