ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Domain name values

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
I'm looking to buy a domain name from someone. Its a .co.uk and its a one word domain. 8 letters.

They have asked me to make an offer. I have no idea how to value it? Any tips please?

Cheers

Clio 182
Its quite hard to say without knowing what it is and the purpose it would serve for you. It comes down to what its worth to you!

If its gong to be too high, I personally would be thinking about changing it slightly as .co.uk domains are generally pittance these days!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Impossible for anyone to give you even a vague ballpark without knnowing what the domain actually is I would think.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would have thought that has VERY little value TBH.

Not linked to much from google, not a household name etc.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Thats what i thought. Just waiting to hear back from him with a price. TO ME it might be worth £500 tops. Lets see what he says..

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Who wants a laugh!!!!!

Dear Eugene: apologies for being so elusive.
I have used the domain for over 15 years for my business and it has considerable value to me. I would want a “five-figure” sum to transfer it to you

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
FLOL @ wanting 10K+ for that

Guess with business accumen like that it explains why his business failed, lol

Just thank him for his time and look for something else.

I think a URL, within reason, isn't that important anyway.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Just thank him for his time and look for something else.

I think a URL, within reason, isn't that important anyway.

Thats exactly what a web design friend literally just told me. So i need to think hard about an alternate. Should be easy enough and cost next to nothing.

330i. E30 Touring.
Whatever it is, just expand.

Newlandspropertyservices.co.uk
newlandsbakery.co.uk
newlandsthiswebsitedidntcostme10k.co.uk

LY 182
Yeah he's just trying it on for sure.

What is the domain for? There's a thing with Google where having an exact match domain is an advantage (as in having your exact keyword .com or whatever). But if that's not completely relevant then it's a total waste of money.

If you explain what the purpose is for then I could offer a suggestion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The term "google" meant nothing to anyone 15 years ago, that was just a random string of letters.

The value is only because its now well known.

What is it your website would be doing? People might have good ideas for a catch domain name or one that is relevant to searches, as google does still put quite a bit of weight into the URL itself I believe, although less then in the past.

Thats exactly what a web design friend literally just told me. So i need to think hard about an alternate. Should be easy enough and cost next to nothing.

Obviously something like ThisBusinessBelongsToAFriendOfEugeAndHeIsAskingForHelpOnline.com is terrible. But think about Google/Flickr/Tumblr etc etc. They mean nothing.

People are going to find the business in one of a few ways..

Google - Friends of Euge near London = Doesn't really matter what your URL is as long as it's relevant-ish. Not BigBoobs.com when you're selling cars etc.

From an ad - Now, if the ad is infront of them, they'll be able to copy it. So as long as it's simple enough and not too long. No big deal.

LY 182
The term "google" meant nothing to anyone 15 years ago, that was just a random string of letters.

The value is only because its now well known.

What is it your website would be doing? People might have good ideas for a catch domain name or one that is relevant to searches, as google does still put quite a bit of weight into the URL itself I believe, although less then in the past.

It's still a very helpful factor. If you want to rank for 'blue widgets' for example, it's perfect to have the domain name 'bluewidgets.com'. That's why I wanted to work out what the OP is doing and thus offer a decent solution.

dk

911 GTS Cab
sorry but i disagree about the URL not being that important, its extremely important. And it has to match the company name somehow, you can't just make up a word because it will look cool.

With google, flickr etc, they would have come up with the Url before the company name, or at least at the same time. But if you already have a business with that name, now Eug has already banded that newlands name about on here before, so its imperative the url is closely connected.

Agreed the guy is nuts wanting that price for the one he wants, but if we know what the companies about (wasn't it a bar, or a property company or something?) we can help with names.

And the guy who says his boss owns several worth 200k, not really, they're worth whatever someone wants to pay for them, this guy 'thinks' his is worth £10k, unless he's sold them then they are worth nothing really, and if he hasn't sold them, then either nobody wants them or the people who do aren't willing to pay the price, so again, they aren't worth that amount.......