ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Down grading with a plan

Well i've only had my 182 for about 12 weeks and im getting rid of it. Drop it off on thursday evening and pick my new 05 1.2 clio up on friday as doing 15-20mpg isn't fun. in total it was costing me about £400-£500 a month to run compared to a 1.2 which i recon is going to cost about £150-£200.

But in the near future (when i get my student loan to be exact) and with the money i've got from down grading i'll be looking for a 172/182 donor vechile i think or just the engine and source the various parts i need as i think this will be the cheapest.

Then over the coming months i'm looking for a locost/hood 2b not planning on spending a fortune on the car i mainly want the chaise which i'll be attempting to put a 172/182 engine in it :D. Planning on spending £2000 on the car and then mayby £1500-£2000 on a new engine and upgrading the parts trying to keep the overall expenditure under £3500.

I've only jsut started researching this so i don't know how optimistic i'm being but there are a few hoods with dodgey pinto engines in knocking about for 2k

So, i might be selling the sport, but i hope to get back in one (granted it will hardly have any clio parts on it) very soon :D

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
So you have a 182 thats getting 15-20mpg but your going to get a 172 engine for your 1.2 and change them over?

Am i missing somthing?

Titanium 182
My 182 only really costs me a vast ammount more on insurance than my 1.4 clio mpg is pretty much the same :S

Robing hood 2B's are sweetttt as though !

15-20mpg? I used to get about 34mpg with a mixture of hard and normal driving with mine. Possible problem some where? Or sitting in traffic all day?

I would suggest if your getting 15-20mpg, you would be better off addressing your driving style or a potential running fault.

Thats just my 2p

M2 Competition
Im confused. The 1.2 clio wont cost much less in fuel at all, and certainly not 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost.

Have owned both :S

ur megane r26
yer i get about 34 mpg on my car now, and like said i only spend loads more on insurance and servicing, but for me it dont matter, just cant wait to drive again

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
So your gonna spend £3500 on turning your 1.2 into a sport, and the current sport is costing around £300 more per month. Plus massive insurance costs for putting a 172/182 engine in a 1.2.

FAIL

shipment-of-fail.jpg

Titanium 182
He's not planning on putting a 1*2 engine in a clio, hes planning on putting it in a kit car.

(I think)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Well i've only had my 182 for about 12 weeks and im getting rid of it. Drop it off on thursday evening and pick my new 05 1.2 clio up on friday as doing 15-20mpg isn't fun. in total it was costing me about £400-£500 a month to run compared to a 1.2 which i recon is going to cost about £150-£200.

But in the near future (when i get my student loan to be exact) and with the money i've got from down grading i'll be looking for a 172/182 donor vechile i think or just the engine and source the various parts i need as i think this will be the cheapest.

Then over the coming months i'm looking for a locost/hood 2b not planning on spending a fortune on the car i mainly want the chaise which i'll be attempting to put a 172/182 engine in it :D. Planning on spending £2000 on the car and then mayby £1500-£2000 on a new engine and upgrading the parts trying to keep the overall expenditure under £3500.

I've only jsut started researching this so i don't know how optimistic i'm being but there are a few hoods with dodgey pinto engines in knocking about for 2k

So, i might be selling the sport, but i hope to get back in one (granted it will hardly have any clio parts on it) very soon :D

He's not planning on putting a 1*2 engine in a clio, hes planning on putting it in a kit car.

(I think)

I kinda get the feeling he is

M2 Competition

(I think)

Yup, i got that much. But his reasoning seems to be that its costing him too much to run :S

I cant see how running two cars, with the 1.2 only being a bit chepaer to run than the 182 was, will be any cheaper. Or how he's getting 15-20mpg in a clio. Ive managed that in a tuned cup, on a days trackday at bedford (which is a fast track). Sounds like theres something wrong with the car dude.

But, if its because he wants a kit car for some open air thrills, than fair play :)

Danny - he's after a robinhood style kitcar, like a caterham 7 type thingy. And then putting a 172 engine in that.

DSC00924.jpg

insurance is a killer on the 182 its almost 200 a month, and yeah, i either trash it or i'm sitting in traffic crawling, 15-20mpg might be abit of an over statement but i'm putting in atleast £60 a week just driving to work and manchester a few times a week.

i've never been the best at english so most of what i wrote didn't make sense (lol)
Selling my 182
buying a 1.2
looking for a robin hood 2b (kit car based on a lotus 7)
dropping in a 2L engine hopefully from a renault (172/182)

and i'll be travelling further to uni in sept as i've of left college which will mean i can't work as much and be putting in more petrol

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I think i get what you mean now, right so the 172/182 engine isnt going anywhere near the 1.2 your buying, but your planning on building a kit car with the 172/182 engine..?

Am i getting it lol?

If i'm being totally honest i didn't think paying so much money a month for a car, when sure, its fast but it doesn't put a grin on my face like my roadster did and when i drive my mates locost.

that and i've always wanted to build a kit car (though the SVA test doesn't appeal to me what so ever)

sorry for the confusion danny, yeah the 1.2 will die a 1.2
was looking at diesels but the clio 1.5dci's all seemed abit expensive to buy, i wanted to keep a lump of cash to start my savings off for a hood

Fcuk sticking a 172 or 182 lump in a hood or Locost. Go bike engine stylee, lad i work with has one its ace. Same power and no weight !

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Ah right i get you now matey, sounds like a plan but like you say the SVA test is a total pain in the arse, best of luck with it buddy

182FF with cup packs
I would suggest if your getting 15-20mpg, you would be better off addressing your driving style or a potential running fault.

Thats just my 2p

God knows what his driving style is. I razz the f**k out of my 182. My daily commute is a 50 mile round trip, 1/2 motorway, 1/2 dual carriageways and roundabouts round town, I pretty much floor it everywhere. I still get, even on my worse weeks, 30mpg.

the only time I ever got anything near to an atrocious average like that was the day I drove back from Maidstone to Ashford in 4th gear by accident for most of the way, at motorway speeds. (had just driven back from Sunderland, stopped for petrol in Maidstone, was very tired and had the stereo cranked way up)

Lamda sensor issue?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
God knows what his driving style is. I razz the f**k out of my 182. My daily commute is a 50 mile round trip, 1/2 motorway, 1/2 dual carriageways and roundabouts round town, I pretty much floor it everywhere. I still get, even on my worse weeks, 30mpg.

the only time I ever got anything near to an atrocious average like that was the day I drove back from Maidstone to Ashford in 4th gear by accident for most of the way, at motorway speeds. (had just driven back from Sunderland, stopped for petrol in Maidstone, was very tired and had the stereo cranked way up)

Lamda sensor issue?

Even withe the music loud surley you would realise by looking at the rev counter? :S

Christ!