ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Download windows 8 ISO

For windows 7 there used to be an official service where you could download the installation ISO from i think digital river.
Is this available for windows 8? I notice on Microsoft they offer a tool but this is only for 8.1, last time i upgraded things didnt work properly.

I think the only way you can do it now its through an MSDN or technet account. I had to borrow my friends OEM disk that he brought outright and used my BIOS strapped OEM key to install it :)

Just make sure the key that is strapped to your machine is the right version, 64 or 32 and pro or core, then 8.1 or 8. This time round you cant use a pro disk to install core and vise versa :(

Although if your lucky enough to know someone with an MSDN account that has made an AIO then your laughing really :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
If you have the key for 8 alone, it won't allow you to download the 8.1 ISO. Microsoft want you to install the 8 version and then upgrade it to 8.1

Personally, I'd stick with Windows 7. The last reformat I did about three weeks ago took me back to Windows 7. Try as I might (and trust me, I have!) I just don't get on with 8 at all. I had a very interesting conversation last week with an MS corporate licencing dude regarding Windows 7 and the uptake (or complete lack of) with regards to 8.

D.

The PC shipped with windows 8, forgot to add to this. Reason I wanted a disc was that the reset feature failed after hours of waiting (5 hours to 39% before I went to bed, woke up to the failed screen.) tried all the options I had but it kept requesting a disc but then I found another option with loaded up the Alienware respawn and windows was up and running fresh within 20 minutes

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
If you have the key for 8 alone, it won't allow you to download the 8.1 ISO. Microsoft want you to install the 8 version and then upgrade it to 8.1

Personally, I'd stick with Windows 7. The last reformat I did about three weeks ago took me back to Windows 7. Try as I might (and trust me, I have!) I just don't get on with 8 at all. I had a very interesting conversation last week with an MS corporate licencing dude regarding Windows 7 and the uptake (or complete lack of) with regards to 8.

D.

I was of the same mind set until very recently, but I rebuilt my home servers with 2012 R2 which made Windows 7 feel very dated, shortly afterwards I moved to 8.1 on my desktop (after having tried to get on with it twice before) and I wouldn't go back to 7 now. Windows 8.1 can be configured in such a way that it is virtually no different from 7, just with an additional overlay of the tiled Start screen & additional features of the app store & apps.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'd also argue with the new start button on 8.1 (like 2012 R2) things are more accessible (quicker to hand).

I agree with Gareth. We upgraded all of our servers to 2012 to start off with. I tried Windows 8 and didn't like it and went back to 7. But then when 8.1 came out I moved to that and all I can say is it's awesome. 10x better than 8.1. also 8.2 will be out next month which should make things even better

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I'll keep trying with it - but I don't see the point in 'moulding' Windows 8 back to how Windows 7 was. At the moment, I just can't shake the 'extra steps' mentality that Windows 8 has slid into place. I don't think I've ever used as many keyboard shortcuts in my life to simply get where I need to!

I understand the whole ethos why MS are pushing Windows 8 - especially with the smartphone integration in the emerging markets in India and Africa, etc. But I don't think I've ever frowned so much with a Windows OS since Millenium was released. And at least that had the argument of Win98 familiarity.

There will be a point of no return though. We're now deploying or 2nd 2012 server here. But for a business desktop case, there's zero reason for us to switch to Windows 8. And long may that continue, lol. ;)

D.

Fiesta ST
There will be a point of no return though. We're now deploying or 2nd 2012 server here. But for a business desktop case, there's zero reason for us to switch to Windows 8. And long may that continue, lol. ;)

D.

I really like Server 2012 R2, just done a hyper v install consisting of DC's, Exchange2013, Sharepoint2013 and a RDS Server all went smoothly.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Server 2012, especially on virtual servers is so much leaner and quicker than 2008. I keep meaning to post up some of Home server details, I've got the latest HP Microserver specced up to about £1800 worth of kit making it a very capable machine (OS SSD, 1TB SSD for VMs, quad-port gigabit NIC).

There isn't that much required to make 8.1 like 7, create a shortcut on the desktop to control panel, internet explorer, file browser and system, you are pretty set.

Last edited:
Server 2012, especially on virtual servers is so much leaner and quicker than 2008. I keep meaning to post up some of Home server details, I've got the latest HP Microserver specced up to about £1800 worth of kit making it a very capable machine (OS SSD, 1TB SSD for VMs, quad-port gigabit NIC).

There isn't that much required to make 8.1 like 7, create a shortcut on the desktop to control panel, internet explorer, file browser and system, you are pretty set.

Processor usage seems a lot less too. We're running 17 server 2012 vm's across two servers and they're hardly touching the cpu's

2qdy90h.png

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yep, the biggest limitation I have on the Microserver is the 16GB ram, the SSD and Quad-Core Xeon will run as much as I want, its memory I run out of. Hopefully in future 32GB will be possible, but its not at the moment.

Yep, the biggest limitation I have on the Microserver is the 16GB ram, the SSD and Quad-Core Xeon will run as much as I want, its memory I run out of. Hopefully in future 32GB will be possible, but its not at the moment.

Yeah we underestimated the amount of RAM we would need when we first got them. Each server had 16gb each was no where near enough in the event of a failover, then added an extra 8gb to each server which is better but still not enough!

Strange how it's limited to only 16gb, that's not much ram now days, especially with VM's!

We're limited to 256gb of RAM per host!

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
They only ship with Dual-Core processors, having the Xeon in it is a bit of a bodge, I think they underestimate what people use them for.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Processor usage seems a lot less too. We're running 17 server 2012 vm's across two servers and they're hardly touching the cpu's

2qdy90h.png

Looks very similar to what we're doing. Five terminal servers, two SQL, 1 Exchange and a sprinkling of other spanning two SANs and on three VMWare boxes. Looks quite painless (so far - lol!) and a bit more 'fluffy' than Hyper-V.

I've tended to ignore virtualisation for quite some time, but we've got to the stage where its no longer a luxury, but a necessity at work.

D.

Looks very similar to what we're doing. Five terminal servers, two SQL, 1 Exchange and a sprinkling of other spanning two SANs and on three VMWare boxes. Looks quite painless (so far - lol!) and a bit more 'fluffy' than Hyper-V.

I've tended to ignore virtualisation for quite some time, but we've got to the stage where its no longer a luxury, but a necessity at work.

D.

We've had it running for about a year now, two HP servers, two qnap 16 drive nas's (56tb of normal drives in total then 1tb of ssd space in raid for super fast image deployment in WDS) and a two networks (main visible network and then a network which spans between the servers and nas's for iscsi traffic)

Server wise we have

-SQL server with 3 instances
-Exchange
-Two Domain Controllers
-1 file server (will be two soon using dfs)
-WDS + WSUS + AVG server
-Apache/MySQL server for local intranet
-IIS server for our library system
-Sims.net server
-Impero server
-Inventory server (just a apache instance)
-Print server
-Development server
-And a couple of other servers

In total our setup set us back 15k which isn't bad considering! One thing I've noticed with Vmware vsphere is that you need to keep switching between the web and desktop client as some features are missing in each. I've never used hyper v!

I'm hoping to do some Vmware qualifications soon as im only 19 and chose not to go to uni, so need something in place of a degree!

Oh if you ever want any help on vmware just drop me a pm, always happy to help! Hope you haven't fell asleep reading this!