ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drivers Republic Hot Hatch Shootout

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Heres the review videos in full

Astra VXR 888
Megane R26-R
Impreza WRX S
Mini Cooper S (JCW)
Mountune Focus ST
Championship White Civic Type R

The Impreza was quickest by far over B roads point to point

He says the Civic Type R offers the most grip out of all of them and was best on track.

Sounds like Honda have bought the Type R back to where it used to be :approve:

Part 1 (14 minutes) http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=02ee224e7106473891a09e3284bbeeef&area=videos

Part 2 (6 minutes) The Verdict..... http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_tv/index.cfm?videoid=98d1318eb35f461ca460ec11111165ee&area=videos

172, Tiguan
Cracking watch that. Chris Harris always does a good video! My ideal spec R26R as well.

MCS R56
Ah, so what you want is a FWD N/A hot hatch shootout, this is a general hot hatch shoot out, which all the cars included qualify as. :rasp:

No, I just don't think the Subaru should be in that group, even if it is a hatch back by definition. I don't love my Clio that much that it needs to be in every review!!

Saying that, I'm not sure where I'd put the Subaru!

Decent test though. No idea what I'd choose. Not the Astra!

J03

MX5 1.8
since when did a mondeo become a hatch back ;) a hatch back doesnt have to be a 3 door with a flat rear.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The clio would of been shot to s**t if it had been there amongst that lot.

Subaru going back to basics it seams.Even if it does look like a mazda.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
lol at people not actually knowing what a hatchback is. the level of moron status on here is unbeleivable.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
I think its quite confusing tbh seb.

If you look in evo they list the mini as a supermini but the cooper s is a hothatch.

Some of those are a bit big to be hot hatches though

its pretty simple tbh. if the boot opens into the cabin space its a hatchback. if it opens into an enclosed boot then its not a hatchback.

edit: A supermini is usually a hatchback below a certain size. a hot hatch is a 'performance' hatch back.

J03

MX5 1.8
i think the term hot hatch in that case is the power/performance of the mini... the standard mini is a supermini in the likes of fiesta, corsa, clio etc.. hot hatch would be because of their performance (in the same league as coupe's larger cars)

Roffle at hot hatch confusion. FFS it's not difficult is it?

If it's a practical hatch back, and it's hot, then it's a hot hatch. AFAIK it doesn't have to be a certain size. Usually they are B or C cars. Fiesta/Clio or Focus/Astra respectively.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
still a hatch though... i really don't see the issue tbh.

J03

MX5 1.8
hatchback:

''An automobile having a sloping back with a hinged rear door that opens upward.''

ok now shut up. i think people are too use to seeing clios, corsas, fiestas and doesnt agree with anything bigger to as being a hatch back.

this is a nice hot hatch
car_photo_217974_5.jpg

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i don't understand how people don't know what a hatchback is.

so the glass opens too does it so the parcel shelf can be taken out like any other hatchback?

hatchback:

''An automobile having a sloping back with a hinged rear door that opens upward.''

Surely thats every car, ever? They all slope at the back to some degree and every boot opens upwards?

I dont remember ever having to get under the bumper to go the a boot that opened downwards.

Its all about where the hinge is. Generally speaking, if the rear window is part of the bootlid, its a hatch.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
i give up tbh. i knew cs had its amount of thicko's but even i estimated it was much lower than shown in this thread.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
fair do's mcbunny. i knew u weren't that thick.

for all the other dumbasses.

saloon car

rs512614fj0.png

hatchback car.

1986.ford.sierra.cosworth.arp.750pix.jpg

notice the differences.

The distinction is that a hatch back has a door at the back. An opening into the cabin. Not an opening into the boot space. It doesn't matter how big it is, or how many wheels are driven, if it has a hatch back, then it's a hatch back. If it's also hot, then it's a hot hatch back, otherwise known as a hot hatch.

FFS there really should be an IQ test as part of the signing up process.