ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Lens Suggestions?

This mortgage business isn't as much of a squeeze as I expected, so obviously I'm looking where to spend my money, I love my D50 to bits and the recent calendars/big prints etc haven't shown up the modest pixel count, so don't feel that upgrading that is the right way forward just now, I have...

Nikon 80-200 2.8 AF-S
The most stupidly fast and sharp lens I will ever own, there is nothing I would consider in the 80-200 range as this covers that range brilliantly. It takes the piss, quite frankly, and is a joy to use.

Nikon 50mm f1.8
My workhorse, very little this little beauty can't cope with.

Sigma 10-20
All my wide angle needs covered, not frequently used but brilliant when it is (holidays and car shoots), missing the sharpness of the above 2 but it's not something I use often enough to worry about upgrading to a faster model.

Am I missing anything? It doesn't feel as though I am, aside from some extra reach (300mm+) there isn't a single shot that I've felt I've missed due to lack of lens. The 300mm+ range at the quality I'm used to (i.e. 2.8 and super-sharp) is firmly in the price range where I would have to consider buying a different car if I had that sort of money (which I probably never will!), so that's out of the question. I have a horrible feeling I need to go down that route if I want to really push this 'hobby' a few steps further.

What do people here use that doesn't sit with the lens I have listed above? I guess a macro lens is the obvious missing link.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
i have the same lenses LOL!

also have a nikon 28-80 macro....

and a fixed nikon 500mm 2.8 that i have used once heh. it the most expensive but just havent had the need to use it... was a bit of an impulse...

if i was you i would look at upgrading to a full frame body... the pro bodies are just better to use, i never thought i would use things like mirror lock etc but i have used them and they do produce good results...

can the d50 store custom curves etc?

what about flashes?

Clio 197
It seems that you have all anyone can ask for really (apart from a v.sharp wide-angle lens).

Is there a decent 2x converter you can get? Your zoom lens will then cover 400mm, yet only be F4 which is still pretty decent.

Also, do any of your lenses have IS? Do you think you'd benefit from that?

Rally bus
Nikon 18-200 VR for those occasions where lugging all your gear around isn't practical.

Or, if you haven't already got them, a couple of flashguns that you can use wirelessly to light your car shoots.

I'd put a 1.4 or 1.7x converter on the 80-200 if you need extra reach. 1.4 only loses one stop.

I'm not selling the Sigma, it's just too good when I do have a need for it.

Flashguns sounds like a plan, would at least give me some good experience of working with artificial light.

hmmmm Flashgun or Sigma 30 f/1.4, grew out of my 50mm f/1.8 and now use the Canon 28 f/1.8 (gives a nice 50mm field of view) and hear the Sigma is very good a plus the Nikon 28 f/1.4 is err pricey!