ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dual Boot on 2 Drives

Not a Clio
Can anyone tell me how to dual boot with 2 HDD's?

I have XP Pro on an 80 Gig and will be putting Linux (Ubuntu 5.10) on a 40 Gig.

RB 182
I reckon I'd be right in saying it's the boot.ini that needs changing;

"multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS=..."

I think it's the second zero that needs changing if it's not the 'first' drive.

If you are dual booting Windoze and Linux, you are better off installing either Grub or Lilo (both from Linux) as your "boot loader" as they both understand how to boot linux and Windows, whereas Windows only understands Windows. I've never seen anyone with the Windows boot loader booting Linux.

RB 182
Windows won't boot if you don't have one so it must be there. Not sure what to suggest if you can't find it in the root of your Windows hard drive and all files are visable. Have you disabled 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'?

Not a Clio
benclelland said:
Windows won't boot if you don't have one so it must be there. Not sure what to suggest if you can't find it in the root of your Windows hard drive and all files are visable. Have you disabled 'Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)'?

i'm having a thick day - excuse me while i find a brick wall.

I can see boot.ini now lol

Not a Clio
RobertCL said:
If you are dual booting Windoze and Linux, you are better off installing either Grub or Lilo (both from Linux) as your "boot loader" as they both understand how to boot linux and Windows, whereas Windows only understands Windows. I've never seen anyone with the Windows boot loader booting Linux.

seen those mentioned before.. i'll google them

RB 182
I've used Lilo before I'd say it is probably the best bet on second thoughts, but be careful with whatever you change obviously.

Not a Clio
yep Daz, grub popped up during the install so i used that. Booted without an issue :D

Have you used ubuntu daz? Do you know why init won't work, is there an alternative?