ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dynamique Tyre Options

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
Going to have to buy some new tyres for the car fairly soon. The car was running 185/55/r15 Cooper tyres when I bought it. Not entirely sure how brilliant they are, can't find anything on them really bar their 4x4 range so I'm assuming the previous owner bought them on a budget. (EDIT: They're actually £60 on blackcircles, a bit more than the PE2s :eek:)

I'm not incredibly impressed by them either but it's my first car so I don't really have much to compare them to, maybe my expectations are too high.

Anyway, few questions about tyres.

I've got the 15" dynamique rims and I can go up to 195/50. What are the benefits and disadvantages of changing the profile from 185/55 to 195/50?
Also, why are 195/50 tyres so much cheaper than their 185/55 counterparts which are about £20 more per tyre on average?

Finally, out of the following tyres which would you recommend for my car, that being a 1.2 16v and a car that is driven hard from time to time but most of the time isn't driven hard at all. Price and longevity are concerns but ultimately I don't want to end up in a ditch.

Goodyear GSD3 or PE2 or Toyo TR-1 or something else (All about £55 each fitted from etyres)? If 185/55 would be better then my options change as the PE2s go up to about £80 each. :/

Last edited:
  RB 182
I have Goodyear GSD3's I think they are maybe GSD2 and I'm impressed with them, so much better than budget ones that I had before. I am tempted to try some more next time though.

al

ST on the way...
I've got a 1.2 16v and have 195/50/15v Pilot Exalto (PE2's) on it and wouldn't change them for anything!!! :D

£60 a corner fully fitted anywhere from etyres.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
ive got proxes t1r's, awesome tyres mate, recommend them, and off mytyres.co.uk you can get a set of four 195/50 delivered for £120 total - bargain

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
what the proxes?

i think they are good in the rain to be honest, only times i have the front end losing grip is in the dry, granted i dont really push it in the wet but im still impressed with them.

BMW M135i
Eagles are the daddy imo. Will be using them for a while yet, best tyre i've had the pleasure of using yet and at £45 a corner fitted at the local tyre place for 195/55s and £35 each from my tyres i'll be sticking with them yet.

185/55 is a less common size hence them costing more whereas 195/50 is common as muck.

MINI Cooper S
I got 185/55/R15's 22 front's on my 1.4 dynamique for £89.30 fitted... i rung a tire place up n they wanted £110 fitted, i said to them some were else had offered them for £100, so then they said £89.30 (took the prices for balancing and valves off, but they still did give me new valves and balanced the wheels :)

Clio 1.2 16v Dynamique
Price is definitely a concern because I'm just 17 but by that same domain, I want something that will keep me on the road when I push the car. I can't modify the car and I don't really want to, but because of that, a decent set of tyres are pretty important in getting out what performance the car offers.

The Proxes are just £30 on mytyres but everybody does seem to have a vendetta against their wet performance and the Eagle GS-D3 is just a fiver more per tyre. And then the PE2's are £45 but are they worth that much more per tyre over the others in a 1.2?

There aren't going to be any implications from running 195/50 tyres right? No rubbing etc.?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
get either proxes or F1's mate, thats what i was choosing from, the reasons i chose proxes was i could get them delivered faster due to stock, on the mytyres tyretest they got better than the eagles, and i've only got a 1.2 so they will provide the amount of grip i can push the car into needing at any point.

the price isnt alot different, so if you want the F1's go for them, im just letting you know the proxes are a good tyre, i have michellin energy's on the car before a full set of proxes, and the cornering is so much better and solid, and i can take many corners noticably faster!

if i were you, just buy the one you like the name of best!!

Having had both, f1s are a miiiiiiillion times better in the wet than the proxes - I admittedly had the T1R version, not the T1R, but I was going round the outside of people on roundabouts last night on my F1s - they really are ridiculously good in the wet. :cool:

For a fiver more in 195/50, GET THEM lol

Some people might argue about not pushing it in the rain but I wouold argue that you need the best you can get, just in case you find yourself in a situation that requires a high-speed manoeuvre or heavy braking in the wet - at which point you'll be cursing the fact you got proxes lol

Mustang, S13, AX GT
I recently got toyo proxes T1-S, and so far Im very impressed. they gripped pretty well lsat night round some of the bends and it was good and wet.

Black Pearl Dynamique
How do the original continentals shape up against all of the above when it comes to performance? I was set back £80 each for my front two on the dynamique and reading this i'm beginning to think that I was ripped off :(

I've got the 15" dynamique rims and I can go up to 195/50. What are the benefits and disadvantages of changing the profile from 185/55 to 195/50?
Also, why are 195/50 tyres so much cheaper than their 185/55 counterparts which are about £20 more per tyre on average?
IMo forget Toyos there terrible very unimpressed with them.
Never tried the F1's on my car but they get good reviews

I only recomend the normal production continetal premium contact (the ones not the 2's as there not as good)

Benefits of using 195/50 is that there cheaper they do have a slight lower size so tiny bit more acceleration speedo etc is ever so slightly out by 1% but stock there out by about 5% so I don't care.
ALso 195/50 catch if you drive very hard on track days etc

The Proxes are just £30 on mytyres but everybody does seem to have a vendetta against their wet performance and the Eagle GS-D3 is just a fiver more per tyre. And then the PE2's are £45 but are they worth that much more per tyre over the others in a 1.2?

There aren't going to be any implications from running 195/50 tyres right? No rubbing etc.?
As said above yep they rub on stock setup on the rear arches ever so slightly and wear the lip away no huge issue idealy cut the rear bolt clips a bit but no need.
Na 195/50 fit no problem at all and Id get the eagles, ran them for 2 years plus when I had teh clio, great tyres
They do catch.
How do the original continentals shape up against all of the above when it comes to performance? I was set back £80 each for my front two on the dynamique and reading this i'm beginning to think that I was ripped off :(
Continental are superb tyres every chnaged from them when there on minimums so arn't able to give a true and faie view they are superb wear well fine on track and in wet/cold/snow etc. Plus there cheap.

The sign of a good type see how many weight a none damaged wheel needs continentals need very ver little weight toyo's etc arlways need more as there build isn't as tightly controlled.

The sign of a good type see how many weight a none damaged wheel needs continentals need very ver little weight toyo's etc arlways need more as there build isn't as tightly controlled.
I wondered what on earth you were talking about then, then I realised you mean when they are balanced on the machine lol

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
i still rate the proxes, but agree with getting the best possible!

im happy with mine, but then again i suppose you can't argue with numbers, seems most people would recommend F1's...

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got Eagle F1s on my Dynamique 195/50 and they are mental, especially in the wet. my mums got 4 budget cheapos on her dynamique and i nearly lost it on the stirling services roundabout at 35mph, mine does it at 60mph, get to 65mph and it starts to slide slightly