ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E92 BMW M3 - A slight upgrade.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Managed to get some time with my beloved the other weekend. As some of you may know, as well as my day job I'm part of a business called "La Chasse". We provide unique Road Rallys that involve tech and challenges to make the whole thing more exciting. Anyway, after the event I used the excuse to go for a good blast around the Cotswolds in the sun. Managed to get some of it on film!

Absolutely love the way this thing goes. There's just so much grip and so much power! It really is a masterpiece, absolutely chuffed with it so far. My plan to sell it at the end of the year to buy property is going to change... Any recommendations on explaining that one to the Mrs?

Obviously when I write stuff like this I have to find negatives, I'd be foolish to admit there's none. I had to commute in it earlier this week due to the Volvo having a wee, and I've always said that commutes make you realise the little niggles.

One thing is the noise, it's bloody loud. It's in no way too intrusive in the cabin, BMW have always been good at interior refinement. However, on cold start, anyone within a mile can hear it. This is particularly embarrassing when you start it in front of your office and see everyone coming to the window to have a look at the burk in his bright red M3. Given that there are about 5 of these things at work, it's an achievement that they come to look at mine in many ways, albeit for the wrong reasons. On the flipside I adore the racket it makes, and I would never change it. Screw them all!

Awkward pedals - they've taken a while to get used to, they're a bit too off centre and close together. And with that, the flywheel noises have taken a lot of getting used to! For months I've been on/off convinced that the clutch is dying, or at least the release bearing. Every time I look it up it seems to be a common noise, and apparently its the flywheel. If not I just hope it explodes within warranty.

BMW Paint - If you've owned a BMW I dont have to explain this, if you havent, you've probably heard. They cant paint cars for toffee, and its rather frustrating knowing it'll never be quite perfect without a respray. For 95% of people its more than adequate, but I'm picky.

But, other than those minor niggles, its a fantastic car. Out of the three (RS4, C63 and this) there is no competition for me, the others are big cruisers and tilted more towards "Family muscle car" whereas this is the "Purer" drivers car. Feel free to flame me for that...

Anyway, onwards with ownership! And fuel bills....

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If the paint bothers you fork out on a proper detail and some wet sanding.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
If the paint bothers you fork out on a proper detail and some wet sanding.

I was tempted. But the way I drive it means it gets covered in stone chips and such! The thought of forking out for a detail (which to be fair, probably wouldn't get rid of some of the issues) and then ruining it just by having fun in the car grates on me a bit!

Actually detailed it the other weekend, did a 2 stage on my driveway with a rotary and it made quite a difference. But there's still areas of lacquer runs, over spray, missed paint from the factory in some tight corners. And of course... lacquer peel. When a detailed inspected it he was almost certain it hasn't had any paint since factory, except maybe the rear bumper. So they're all factory defects, which I can believe seeing many new BMWs with similar issues.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
And with that, the flywheel noises have taken a lot of getting used to! For months I've been on/off convinced that the clutch is dying, or at least the release bearing. Every time I look it up it seems to be a common noise, and apparently its the flywheel. If not I just hope it explodes within warranty.
Mine rattled in traffic, its the lightweight flywheel. Wouldnt worry about it.
Also, if you haven't done the "clutch-stop" modification, do it, makes the gear change approx 1 billion times better!!

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Awesome car, I'd love one.

Just tell the misses that you can sleep in a car but you can't race a house, there's a 99.9% chance she'll call you a stupid t**t but there's a slither of hope in the 0.1% 😂

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Well I've had some fun in this the past few weeks. Decided to drive the thing down to Lake Como in Italy for a much needed holiday, given the amount of hours I'm doing at present I was really looking forward to the 5 days in an expensive hotel, but equally was looking forward to seeing how the BMW coped with what Europe could throw at it.

First stop, obviously, was the ring. On the drive there I suffered in the traffic a bit, but still managed to get to around 160mph. Guess it's not limited then...
36425893622_dc09dee20a_c.jpg
Nurburgring by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Out on the 'ring it performed as you'd expect, much better than I could. It was my first time on a track with it, and I was massively impressed with the grip levels. The main issue I had (other than my own talent limits) were the brakes, they were cooked within half a lap. More annoyingly I had an issue with one of the rear heat shields, when it got hot it warped and was in contact with the disc. A poke with a screwdriver sorted it, but still annoying! Didn't ruin my time there though, and has left me wanting more track time with it. I did 5 or 6 laps in all, I didn't really time them but going by my Go Pro footage I was lapping anywhere between 9 and 10 minutes.

36603412531_8cbabb377b_c.jpg
racetracker_3300197_46764 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
36603399051_1216ddfa25_c.jpg
racetracker_3309770_46761 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
35908368154_313f796d6e_c.jpg
racetracker_3310079_46760 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
36603405581_b6d18753d2_c.jpg
racetracker_3308152_46763 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Next stop was Munich, probably my favourite city in Europe and I always include it in these little trips. On the route down I managed to hit 170mph, car felt stable as a rock, the only issue being wind noise through the windows! Got there fast and was still climbing too, not sure what it can hit but maybe I'll find out on another trip.

Before we left for Italy a couple of days later, there was just one stop I had to make...
36346892450_faee3ea7c5_c.jpg
IMG_5777 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

For the route down to Italy, I decided to do something a bit different. Normally I take the Stelvio pass, but this time thought I'd try out San Bernadino Pass instead. I was not disappointed, even if the weather was a tad misty!

36456637841_f051a659ea_c.jpg
San Bernadino Pass by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

36456637351_5435f4debe_c.jpg

Of course this route also meant tunnels, and I'm very glad mine is as loud as it is. My Mrs did get fed up when she was trying to sleep, mind you.

The rest of the drive was pretty familiar, and I was glad we'd pushed the boat out a little with the hotel when I saw the parking.

36603630761_5046838800_c.jpg
IMG_5804 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

For the route back I chose to try out the St Gotthard pass, and in particular the old cobblestone route.

36742930905_af361b3e56_c.jpg
IMG_6018 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

36603628491_0574085a35_c.jpg
IMG_6017 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

36346887020_9f85fcfd19_c.jpg
IMG_6019 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Pretty interesting little road, but I preferred the Banardino. We had a couple of nights in Cologne before coming home.

Overall, I was very impressed with the levels of refinement. This is a ten year old car with a loud exhaust, and yet even after the longest drives I felt awake and alert at the end. In my epic trip to Sicily a couple of years back, some of the 12-15 hour drives in the old Skoda were killer. Pretty sure I'd be okay in the BMW! The seemingly endless power and torque were a godsend on European Motorways, and especially on the Autobahn. Even when Dutch tourists got in my way, I was very quickly back up into 150mpg territory. And most importantly, the Mrs enjoyed it. Which is always good!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Well I've had some fun in this the past few weeks. Decided to drive the thing down to Lake Como in Italy for a much needed holiday, given the amount of hours I'm doing at present I was really looking forward to the 5 days in an expensive hotel, but equally was looking forward to seeing how the BMW coped with what Europe could throw at it.

First stop, obviously, was the ring. On the drive there I suffered in the traffic a bit, but still managed to get to around 160mph. Guess it's not limited then...
36425893622_dc09dee20a_c.jpg
Nurburgring by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Out on the 'ring it performed as you'd expect, much better than I could. It was my first time on a track with it, and I was massively impressed with the grip levels. The main issue I had (other than my own talent limits) were the brakes, they were cooked within half a lap. More annoyingly I had an issue with one of the rear heat shields, when it got hot it warped and was in contact with the disc. A poke with a screwdriver sorted it, but still annoying! Didn't ruin my time there though, and has left me wanting more track time with it. I did 5 or 6 laps in all, I didn't really time them but going by my Go Pro footage I was lapping anywhere between 9 and 10 minutes.

36603412531_8cbabb377b_c.jpg
racetracker_3300197_46764 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
36603399051_1216ddfa25_c.jpg
racetracker_3309770_46761 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
35908368154_313f796d6e_c.jpg
racetracker_3310079_46760 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr
36603405581_b6d18753d2_c.jpg
racetracker_3308152_46763 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Next stop was Munich, probably my favourite city in Europe and I always include it in these little trips. On the route down I managed to hit 170mph, car felt stable as a rock, the only issue being wind noise through the windows! Got there fast and was still climbing too, not sure what it can hit but maybe I'll find out on another trip.

Before we left for Italy a couple of days later, there was just one stop I had to make...
36346892450_faee3ea7c5_c.jpg
IMG_5777 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

For the route down to Italy, I decided to do something a bit different. Normally I take the Stelvio pass, but this time thought I'd try out San Bernadino Pass instead. I was not disappointed, even if the weather was a tad misty!

36456637841_f051a659ea_c.jpg

36456637351_5435f4debe_c.jpg

Of course this route also meant tunnels, and I'm very glad mine is as loud as it is. My Mrs did get fed up when she was trying to sleep, mind you.

The rest of the drive was pretty familiar, and I was glad we'd pushed the boat out a little with the hotel when I saw the parking.

36603630761_5046838800_c.jpg
IMG_5804 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

For the route back I chose to try out the St Gotthard pass, and in particular the old cobblestone route.

36742930905_af361b3e56_c.jpg
IMG_6018 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

36603628491_0574085a35_c.jpg
IMG_6017 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

36346887020_9f85fcfd19_c.jpg
IMG_6019 by Jason.Easton, on Flickr

Pretty interesting little road, but I preferred the Banardino. We had a couple of nights in Cologne before coming home.

Overall, I was very impressed with the levels of refinement. This is a ten year old car with a loud exhaust, and yet even after the longest drives I felt awake and alert at the end. In my epic trip to Sicily a couple of years back, some of the 12-15 hour drives in the old Skoda were killer. Pretty sure I'd be okay in the BMW! The seemingly endless power and torque were a godsend on European Motorways, and especially on the Autobahn. Even when Dutch tourists got in my way, I was very quickly back up into 150mpg territory. And most importantly, the Mrs enjoyed it. Which is always good!

Cracking post mate.. I rode to lake como last month, on the way there I took the furka pass, and on the way back the st bernardino!

If you haven't done the furka, I'd really advise that!

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
Thanks all, certainly wont forget the trip in a hurry! Glad I did it, and encourage everyone to do a roadtrip through Europe when you get the chance

B9 Audi A4 Sport
This is 100% on the "to-own" list one day. For me, it's the best shape M3 they ever made. That V8 sound aswell is glorious.

The colour really suits it too. I like anything that's not the usual diesel-rep shades so it's nice to see a red one.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
G'Day all. Thanks for sharing that in here, was about to do the same!

Good read that.

I absolutely love these, they sound amazing but the running costs would scare the s**t out of me.

Buy a good one, fear gone. In my case I went for an approved used, Warranty is great.
I had 14 months of M3 related fear, good times. Is that clank new? Is it the subframe about to fall out?

Touch wood, mines been flawless in that respect. It's as solid as you'd expect, and been flawless in engine reliability.

The truth is all the worry about the throttle actuators, the shell bearings and whatever else... all nonsense. Yes they're issues, they are known, but they are nowhere near as common as people think. There was a fantastic guide in Evo a couple of months back, with proper realistic advice from Munich Legends. The shell bearing issue is caused by people ragging it from cold, the car has an oil temp gauge for a reason. This can be tested in the oil, by sending a sample off, I actually think Munich Legends can do it in house if you're nearby. Worst comes to worst? Do the ol' Rotary trick. By a cheap car and send it off for an engine rebuild, or stop being a wuss and just buy a good one.

I think if it was going to implode, it would have by now. However, as per the article, I believe she is going... I think. Yes, No. yes. God this is hard.