ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ED Low boost conversion advice

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
My plan was to get it in over the winter but I’ve just bought a set of Meg 250 pistons and rods so going to rebuild with those and wind the boost up. They aren’t a direct fit and need a bit of work but saves the issues that come with having a forged engine and they’ll happily run the 280-300bhp the high boost setup goes to… and plenty more with the right supporting mods

bit of a hijack, but what's needed to fit the 250 rods and pistons?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
bit of a hijack, but what's needed to fit the 250 rods and pistons?

I want to go for more power and it’ll very much go bang on standard internals running silly sausage boost. The original plan was to forge it but I had a forged engine in the past and I can’t be trusted to look after it properly basically 😂. I followed incy spider’s build and he’s done the same in his so shamelessly stole his idea!

The Meg 250/265/275 engines are good for somewhere in the region of 350 to 380bhp on standard internals so robbing this pistons and rods massively strengthens the f4r and drops the compression with no need to forge. It’s an almost oem ish solution. The pistons need pocketed and the rods need a notch added to fit the correct bearings but aside from that the plop straight in. The limiting factor then becomes the head and dropping a valve but it should 🤞 be able to do 300bhp on a standard head. We’ll sharp find out anyway 😂. Watch this space for valves and bits of jc5-107 being flung out like missiles the first time it comes on boost 😎

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
@SteveC_1879 cheers for that. I've got a meg (r26) engine in the Twingo and wouldn't mind pushing it some more but am very much in favour of the parts bin over fully forging it, I really don't need to build a 450/500bhp capable block to take 320ish safely. I will look into it some more, thanks

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
My plan was to get it in over the winter but I’ve just bought a set of Meg 250 pistons and rods so going to rebuild with those and wind the boost up. They aren’t a direct fit and need a bit of work but saves the issues that come with having a forged engine and they’ll happily run the 280-300bhp the high boost setup goes to… and plenty more with the right supporting mods!

You getting a diff as well?

@dann2707 old 182 was around 300bhp with a meg engine and it was silly, wheels used to spin like mad, felt rapid though when it got traction.

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
@SteveC_1879 cheers for that. I've got a meg (r26) engine in the Twingo and wouldn't mind pushing it some more but am very much in favour of the parts bin over fully forging it, I really don't need to build a 450/500bhp capable block to take 320ish safely. I will look into it some more, thanks

Yeah, that was my thoughts. Parts bin is always the way forwards! If I make something that can take 500bhp I’ll then want 500bhp which then causes huge gearbox and drivability issues. Not to mention fuelling, injectors, mapping etc etc This is probably the sensible option

You getting a diff as well?

@dann2707 old 182 was around 300bhp with a meg engine and it was silly, wheels used to spin like mad, felt rapid though when it got traction.

That’s the plan. I’ve got a dci box to go in so I’m going to fit it first and see if I like it or not. Reviews seem to be mixed with some liking them and others hating them. I’d hate to spend a fortune getting it rebuilt and a diff fitted just to put it back in the car and not like it. Once I’ve driven it for a bit, whichever box I dislike the least out of the 182/dci will get rebuilt and diff’d.