ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ED Low boost conversion advice

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
My Clio 172 ph2 is on 115K miles and unsure of when the clutch was done I’m wanting to do the low boost conversion is it going to be worth it with such high miles on my car
And is it really worth it power wise ?

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
MInes on 120k and i'll be low boosting mine, just getting the parts together as and when at the moment.

I'll be pulling the engine out and doing the belts, clutch and turbo bits all in one go.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Xxx
MInes on 120k and i'll be low boosting mine, just getting the parts together as and when at the moment.

I'll be pulling the engine out and doing the belts, clutch and turbo bits all in one go.
Are you going to be using yours on track or will it be a road car ?

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
He's here look, the bald, short Ed China.
john-travolta-well.gif

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
It really does transform the car and make it more fun to drive. The one thing a 182/172 needs is a little more power.

Go for it, you can always change the clutch if it starts slipping afterwards, it will probably be fine for a while though.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It really does transform the car and make it more fun to drive. The one thing a 182/172 needs is a little more power.

Go for it, you can always change the clutch if it starts slipping afterwards, it will probably be fine for a while though.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking to,
I mean the odds of it being the original clutch on 115K miles must be low so it might not be that old

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just finished my turbo conversion.

Fitted an OE Sachs clutch, and it's slipping already, so I'm on the hunt fore something that'll take the 240hp mine is making now.

Oh and definitely worth the effort to convert.......it's hilarious to drive now!

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
its the torque that's an issue more than horsepower, most low boost are 220 to 240lbft so a mildly uprated clutch would be fine. I ran my turbo motor at 120k with what I assumed was an original clutch in it.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just finished my turbo conversion.

Fitted an OE Sachs clutch, and it's slipping already, so I'm on the hunt fore something that'll take the 240hp mine is making now.

Oh and definitely worth the effort to convert.......it's hilarious to drive now!
Just read so many reviews saying they are unreliable even at low boost and it puts me off to be fair but that’s probably people who don’t even own a low boost clio

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just read so many reviews saying they are unreliable even at low boost and it puts me off to be fair but that’s probably people who don’t even own a low boost clio

I fitted a thicker Mégane 225 head gasket to reduce the compression ratio a little and give a little more wiggle room for saftey

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I fitted a thicker Mégane 225 head gasket to reduce the compression ratio a little and give a little more wiggle room for saftey
The top end was rebuilt on my car about 5 months ago new valves and guides and the head was skimmed and a new oem headgakset should of changed it at that point

-Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  172-E92 M3-ZT V8
I would definitely change the clutch as it won’t last long standard. I have a Helix organic clutch in mine and it has been faultless.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I would definitely change the clutch as it won’t last long standard. I have a Helix organic clutch in mine and it has been faultless.
Yeah think I will get ED to change the clutch at the same time they are doing the low boost conversion

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
its the torque that's an issue more than horsepower, most low boost are 220 to 240lbft so a mildly uprated clutch would be fine. I ran my turbo motor at 120k with what I assumed was an original clutch in it.
How long did you run it with the original clutch for please mate ?

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
How long did you run it with the original clutch for please mate ?
I've used a LUK clutch and it's barely run in...I think I've done around 1200 miles on the conversation and the new clutch was installed prior to bolting the engine back in.

It's on the limit and will occasionally slip especially in colder weather where the boost comes in harder and makes a few more ponies.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would have put an uprated clutch from the start. Now if gotta get the box off which is a proper ball ache to do, and spend circa £300 on another clutch kit 🙄

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
It's on the limit and will occasionally slip especially in colder weather where the boost comes in harder and makes a few more ponies.

Personally, knowing what I know now, I would have put an uprated clutch from the start. Now if gotta get the box off which is a proper ball ache to do, and spend circa £300 on another clutch kit 🙄
ok thanks mate yeah from what most people say the original clutch won’t last long at all so think it’s worth changing before even boosting it

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I low boosted mine on 99k and have done about 5k miles on it now on the original clutch with no issues. A lot of the reliability issues come from badly mapped or badly built cars. Do it to a good standard and it’ll be fine within reason. Just bear in mind they are old and french so things will break, turbo’d or not.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
I low boosted mine on 99k and have done about 5k miles on it now on the original clutch with no issues. A lot of the reliability issues come from badly mapped or badly built cars. Do it to a good standard and it’ll be fine within reason. Just bear in mind they are old and french so things will break, turbo’d or not.
I will be getting mine done at ED, where did you get yours done ? The clutch seems to be a weird one some people are fine on the oem clutch some it slips straight away so not sure what to do

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Steve, did you get your cars map tweaked?

First pull on EFIs Dyno on their off the shelf flash made 211hp on mine. Chris 'found" a further 29hp and sorted the bad idlle which turned out to be a duff injector. Defo worth doing.

Ross_clio172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
In 3 years with track use, mine only ever had an exhaust gasket fail.
Yeah that’s really good to be honest can’t be that bad if you’ve used it that hard over 3 years and still is good. Did ED do your conversion ?

Yarp

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
I will be getting mine done at ED, where did you get yours done ? The clutch seems to be a weird one some people are fine on the oem clutch some it slips straight away so not sure what to do

Mine is a home brew of a few different bits to get where I wanted with it. My turbo is a gt28 so bigger than the ED one but I’ve got the EFI boost control module which is the same as their kit uses.

Steve, did you get your cars map tweaked?

First pull on EFIs Dyno on their off the shelf flash made 211hp on mine. Chris 'found" a further 29hp and sorted the bad idlle which turned out to be a duff injector. Defo worth doing.

No, I didn’t in the end. That’s a pretty decent chunk to find hiding down the sofa! That’s a really good result.

My plan was to get it in over the winter but I’ve just bought a set of Meg 250 pistons and rods so going to rebuild with those and wind the boost up. They aren’t a direct fit and need a bit of work but saves the issues that come with having a forged engine and they’ll happily run the 280-300bhp the high boost setup goes to… and plenty more with the right supporting mods!

Fishfire

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Mine is a home brew of a few different bits to get where I wanted with it. My turbo is a gt28 so bigger than the ED one but I’ve got the EFI boost control module which is the same as their kit uses.

No, I didn’t in the end. That’s a pretty decent chunk to find hiding down the sofa! That’s a really good result.

My plan was to get it in over the winter but I’ve just bought a set of Meg 250 pistons and rods so going to rebuild with those and wind the boost up. They aren’t a direct fit and need a bit of work but saves the issues that come with having a forged engine and they’ll happily run the 280-300bhp the high boost setup goes to… and plenty more with the right supporting mods!
Had a good chat with Chris at EFI about a similar route but for me 240hp is plenty for the lil' Clio, but I'll watch for your new build with interest!