ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Effect of swapping a 1.2 for another 1.2

Well insurance wise itd be a E5F to replace a D7F. In reality itd be a E7F id be dropping in for the extra 20bhp but theyre identical...hence asking...

Ziel Nurburgring

As above, just swapping like for like or 8v to 16v?

Like for like, you wont need to tell them. Upgrading it to 16v, you will need to

I have a 1.2 8v D7F engine atm and id like to swap for some power if its cheap enough. Since the 1.4 8v E7F is identical to the 1.2 8V E5F i thought id just tell them thats what i had - that way they know its had a swap but as far as theyre concerned its not a more powerful engine (IIRC both the 1.2s are 60bhp)...i.e ill have the 1.4 but still insured as a 1.2...

yeah yeah m8 but this real life and you can get away with doing it so im not too bothered about those minor details.

Octavia VRS

I think youd have to tell the insurance if it was a more powerful version of the same capacity engine

Hmmm, thats great POW_Clio...what about the DVLA - would i need to send them an appropriate engine number for the new "1.2"?

Octavia VRS

Yeh I reckon you would, include the new engine number, capacity, power output maybe?

Shouldnt cost too much more for insurance, but as its not standard they would class it as a mod

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 12 May 2005
yeah yeah m8 but this real life and you can get away with doing it so im not too bothered about those minor details.

yes its the real world so they would know its a different engine !!!!! ffs just tell them that you are thinking of swapping and see what they say if its going to costs loads why not just sell the car and buy the more powerfull 1.2 i mean if 20 bhp realy means that much to you then go ahead oh and come mot time they might notice when engine numbers dont match

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 12 May 2005

Quote: Originally posted by u33db on 12 May 2005

yes its the real world so they would know its a different engine !!!!! ffs just tell them that you are thinking of swapping and see what they say if its going to costs loads why not just sell the car and buy the more powerfull 1.2 i mean if 20 bhp realy means that much to you then go ahead oh and come mot time they might notice when engine numbers dont match
Calm!

I think youre missing the point - id tell them im swapping the engine but id drop in a 1.4 lump which identical in everyway and hopefully swap the engine tag too for that of a 1.2 of visually the same type....therefore there no way theyd know its not a 1.2.

All im wanting to know is a) will i get charged for dropping in a different engine of the same output and b) who do i need to tell and what.

insignia

Waste of time mate,totally.Your car would still be slow and you wouldnt see much benefits.Its totally pointless and only after driving bigge,faster cars you will realise that. If I drove a noral 1.4,1.6 or 1.8 engine I probably wouldnt notice the difference,seriously.Unless its a 1.4GT turbo;)

Mate, i used to have a tuned properly quick 1.8 16v so im aware of how quick or not it wont be.

Reason im thinking about it that for the sake of 100quid energy engine and less than a days fitting i gain an extra 20bhp and also have a better platform for tuning...the energy engine i solid lump and can make good power...to get 20bhp extra out of the existing 1.2 would take far more...

Twingo 133

I thought you said that the D7F engine has good tuning opertunitys to get to good bhp when compared to the E5F/E7F

Comparing the D7F to the E7F When i did a drag race with it on the airfield, it beat me, but not that much in it considering its 15bhp more.

172 cup'd extreme

1.4 energy engines have made 100bhp my sugestion would be to tell them the engine was damaged and a replacement is being fitted and is out of a clio " " whatever has the engine , they will then insure it as that

Mini Cooper S sport

Quote: Originally posted by McBunny on 12 May 2005

Totally agree...hardly any difference between 1.2 and 1.4 anyway - just wait a bit and get a better car!