ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Eggy smell, lumpy idle, low temp

I noticed the 182 is smelling a bit eggy today when driving slowly. I thought the cat might need a bit of a decent run but that hasn't helped. And after a 20 mile run, driving at 50mpg the temp gauge dropped to one line lower than middle. The weather is cold today, but surely after all that driving it wouldn't drop temp?

Also the idle is lumpy and the revs occasionally jump up above 1k rpm which smooths the engine out a little, then it drops to a more normal idle rpm and goes back to being lumpy.

My other thought was injectors maybe messing up the mixture. That wouldn't explain the coolant temperature drop though.

Anyone got any thoughts? The car is on 110k miles. I'll check the injector resistances tomorrow

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
50mph isn't a great run, nip to Perth and back and see how it is.
My clios have always been better after a good run. And even better after a ragging, so maybe hit up the back roads at a good pace instead.

Injector, fuel pump/filter, failing cat

Those are the usual causes. Check your injectors first because thsyre the easiest to get to
Hopefully injectors then!

Could be thermostat or coolant temp sensor.

If It thinks it's gone cold, it could possibly run on a sort of cold map, richening the fuel and causing the smell.
Now that I think about it, I felt like the cabin was taking a while to heat up the other day. But I've been having problems with the climate control cog recently too, so I can't confirm that. It's never simple with a 182 is it :ROFLMAO:

50mph isn't a great run, nip to Perth and back and see how it is.
My clios have always been better after a good run. And even better after a ragging, so maybe hit up the back roads at a good pace instead.

Oh no, it had a good run. Ragging included. 50mph was when I was getting home and slowing things down, then I noticed the temp gauge had dropped.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like you have too much fuel, most likely injector (get a set of OE injectors while you can if it hasn’t had them) Failed and chucking loads in but if your spark has gone on one cyl you could be getting similar symptoms.

Not sure whether the sport cat is made of sterner stuff (well it is) but I’ve seen a few of the smaller engine clios in the garage with melted cats when a coil pack goes down.

I wouldn’t be ragging it around, you might regret that.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
What's the procedure for testing the coolant sensor and thermostat?

If the temp gauge is fine it should be ok.

Otherwise multimeter or if you don’t have one put the sensor in hot/cold water and look at the gauge.

edit: Just noticed if it’s only slightly below normal that could just be due to the cold weather recently.

BG 182FF
What's the procedure for testing the coolant sensor and thermostat?
For the thermostat start car remove expansion cap as soon as coolant starts to come out of the return check the temp gauge and it should be dead in the middle.
As for coolant sensor i use rs tuner and incar temp gauge should be the same as coolant sensor when engine cold.
The fan assembly should operate when the engine coolant temperature exceeds 102 °C

Injectors resistances are 14.0, 14.0, 13.7, 13.6

In May 2019 they were 14.5, 14.7, 14.8, 14.2

So slightly different. Is the resistance not supposed to increase when they are shagged?

So they were shagged at 13.6?

Just went for a short drive and it definitely feels down a cylinder or two. Worse at start up, then got better as it warmed up but still not right

BG 182FF
Injectors resistances are 14.0, 14.0, 13.7, 13.6

In May 2019 they were 14.5, 14.7, 14.8, 14.2

So slightly different. Is the resistance not supposed to increase when they are shagged?
Depends on the temperature as that will affect results.
Resistance: 14.5 Ω at 20 °C (when new)

VenomUK

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
If all seems fine and still having issues then check your battery. I was getting a nasty eggy smell and was the battery leaking

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
If the engine is lumpy as f**k then check your injectors first

If you have a decent mate then swap your rail and injectors with theirs, if you know theirs works then you diagnose it's either that/not that and go from there

I don't understand this. Number 3 is reading as 3.0 now that it is in the house. It was about the same as the others outside :confused:

I think the colour confirms it hasn't been working correctly, doesn't it?

Might just replace the set to be safe

X72gi44.jpg

itq0aR9.jpg