ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

electrical fault, fan relay?

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
hey guys, i'll try keep this brief. my car is overheating , but not majorly. the fan only cuts in at high speed when the car is too hot, but not at low speed. it also doesn't stay on after long journeys, meaning it gets hotter before colder and won't start till it's cooled! the fan does come on at high speed if you unplug the sensor.
i've replaced the fan, the temp sensor, and now the relay. no change. the pipes are hot, there's no blockage in the system, it's good coolant, it doesn't use any. the gauge is constant and so's the problem, it's not an intermittent fault.
my mate at the garage has checked the cables with a multimeter, and we've discovered when bridged with a piece of cable with the yellow a/c slow fan relay removed, the fan will run, though that's just completing a simple circuit. strangely, the multimeter shows the ecu wires do send a signal to the relay, at the right times, but the relay doesn't click, so there's no fan?!?!
now i've swapped it with one from a scrappy and there was no change, and i've bought one from renault, with no luck!!! unless i'm severly unluck and they're all bust, is there anything i'm missing??
i'm so frustrated!! :mad:

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
i've tested the relay, it works fine. can anyone tell me exactly what signal the ecu puts out? is it a specific voltage/ amperage?
plz? :)

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
ok, i've figured out there is always voltage across the ecu parts of the relay, it must get earthed at the ECU to activate the fan and that's what's not happening. seen as i've cleaned all the earth's on the car and the fan cuts in when you remove the sensor, i'm gonna assume the ECU is fcuked. if anyone can say different, that wud b gr8! :(