ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical/lighting problems

The one in my spoiler. This happens when I turn the engine on and press the brake. When I let go, it stays on but goes a little dimmer and flickers a tiny bit.

This has only happened since I gave the car a good wash earlier today, so I'm thinking that could have something to do with it. The driver's side rear light sometimes has a mind of it's own (the connectors are rusty I think - common problem) but has been fine since I wiggled the wires a little, and still is fine, but I'm thinking this has something to do with the problem too.

Any ideas of how I can solve it? All help is appreciated - thanks.

Re: Brake light always lit...

Would spraying it with WD-40 do anything? Would I have to spray the sidelight connector or the brake light? Both? Cheers!

Renault Clio Sport 172

Would spraying it with WD-40 do anything? Would I have to spray the sidelight connector or the brake light? Both? Cheers!

Go a local motor factors and buy a can of contact spray and spray you elecrical contacts with it and give em a little wiggle and it will resolve the problem .
Regards

Clio 172

Only guessing, but its possible that the brake light has a switched negative. Therefore the positive is already present and when water shorts out between the metalwork of the car and the light it is possible to bring the light on permanently

Go a local motor factors and buy a can of contact spray and spray you elecrical contacts with it and give em a little wiggle and it will resolve the problem .
Regards
Cheers, I'll go on Monday - hope it works!

Only guessing, but its possible that the brake light has a switched negative. Therefore the positive is already present and when water shorts out between the metalwork of the car and the light it is possible to bring the light on permanently
If this is the case then do you know a way to solve it?

Thanks!

Clio 172

Cheers, I'll go on Monday - hope it works!

If this is the case then do you know a way to solve it?

Thanks!
As above, open up light, clean the area, remove any water, spray with switch cleaner/moisture displacer. Servisol is a good switch cleaner.

Thanks a lot guys. Quick question - would WD-40 do the job? Not to sound cheap but money is VERY tight this month :( and don't like driving round with 3 rear sidelights haha.

Clio 172

Thanks a lot guys. Quick question - would WD-40 do the job? Not to sound cheap but money is VERY tight this month :( and don't like driving round with 3 rear sidelights haha.
Nope, it will displace the moisture but will leave it oily which is not good. If you are skint just open the light up and give it a good clean.

Okay now there's another problem with the sidelight :(

The brake light doesn't light up at all any more, and neither does the left rear sidelight (it sometimes lights up very dimly and flickers, it DOES light up when the brakes are pressed though).

So now I have 1 side light and 2 brake lights working - not good! Can anyone help me please? Cheers!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172

have you cleaned the connection to that light up??
the plug that goes into the bulb holder has a record of corroding and shorting random lights out,

2 brake lights?? i thought u said the left rear sidelight came on while braking?

Da

Less
Sounds like an earthing issue, check the main earth connection behind the rear cluster(s).

There are 3 brake lights - one's on the spoiler. Both sidelight brake lights come on when braking but the spoiler one doesn't, and when not braking and driving with the lights on, only one sidelight is lit.

The left one (the one that's out) works if I mess with the wires a bit, but about 5 minutes later it goes really dim and flickers. The connector on that side is perfect, the right side is the rusty one so that's what I don't understand. :(

Da

Less
It's an earthing issue I'm fairly certain. Take out both rear clustes and have a look for the negative connection behind them, it will be bolted to the framework of the car, possibly just inside the boot (I can't remember off the top of my head.)

If this connection is loose, rusty or corroded then this will cause all sorts of rear light faults.

Will need tightening up and a good coat of WD-40.