ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Elongated top mount holes

172DD Cup
Is this normal on a cup?

95fe3ca8-2887-0f26.jpg

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

172DD Cup
It wouldn't add castor or camber as the main rubber part of the mount doesn't move in this hole, just the top part with the nut. Its identical on both sides with the driver side elongated at top left

95fe3ca8-2ff4-b77a.jpg

Lionel Richie
i've seen a few do this just from wear and tear believe it or not! in this case i would suggest going to solid top mounts (k-tec type)

^^ Dear god! What for?

As said - I'd buy some top mounts that bolt through the strut top so they can't move around - like the K-Tec or Pure motorsport ones

ITB'd MK1
it was an offical renault fix at one stage!

this. Bit of an extreme example though. I've trimmed a few, but only by a couple of mm just to stop the cup touching

The edges of the hole shouldn't make contact with the top cup anyway, it's the rubber mount underneath that locates the strut. will make little or no difference the hole being like that

172DD Cup
Hmmm I suspected solid top mounts may be the answer. I found a thread from 2003 that seemed to indicate a renault fix ref what Fred said

this. Bit of an extreme example though. I've trimmed a few, but only by a couple of mm just to stop the cup touching

The edges of the hole shouldn't make contact with the top cup anyway, it's the rubber mount underneath that locates the strut. will make little or no difference the hole being like that

What's the actual point in the top part then? Just to stop the strut from falling out when you jack it up?

172DD Cup
Fitted the new standard top mounts and bearings I've got and car is all over the place. Apart from tracking now being out does it take a while to settle down?

172DD Cup
Just the main rubber mount and bearing are new. Reused upper mount and top hat thing.

With the strut off the car I noticed the main rubber mount could move about despite the tiny strut bolt being tight.

same problem on my 172 going for top mounts but for the mean time the welders coming out any idea of the hole size 45mm sound about right only my drivers side has worn other sides dented a little like its been hit with something from below/strut ,i put a set of refurbished shocks on her but never even noticed the holes ,until now as i've gone through the list bushes ,balljoints,bearings,track rods-tracking ,the better it got it also had a hard to explain flutter on drivers side as if the geometry changed and the wheel steps over.only just found out this said head scratcher.

172 cup
Same problem, could do with suggestions

Will a plate need to be welded to resolve this issue, or would getting solid top mounts do the trick, I'm sure there's movement because of the holes which is causing a knocking from the front