ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Email Security Soltuons for Business use ?

Not a 320d
Can anyone name a few good or well known ones.

Obviously Cisco's IronPort is one, i was wodnering if anyone knew of any others, ones which monitor emails for viruses and other crap, and also filters them.

DMS

A thirsty 172
MIMEsweeper
MessageLabs
Webroot
Cisco IronPort
MXSweep
Postini
Mimecast
Mailfoundry
Spamtitan
SpamCop

I think that's it. They're the ones I've had experience of at some point.

Clio Sport 182
Really, We've never had any problems with them, and if we have any queries our account manager is always around to sort anything out straight away.

we get alot of spam let through the service is also very slow and it costs double what webroot charge

seriously check out webroot

DMS

A thirsty 172
MXsweep also cost a fraction of what MessageLabs charge last time I looked. It's a very good service.

Not a 320d
MIMEsweeper
MessageLabs
Webroot
Cisco IronPort
MXSweep
Postini
Mimecast
Mailfoundry
Spamtitan
SpamCop

I think that's it. They're the ones I've had experience of at some point.

What would you say the best was? Preferably one which is quick and stops spam, and filters emails to hopefully prevent dodgy staff emails. I know IronPort is good, but im not sure if it has the ability to monitor the contents of an email.

Money is not an issue, although if there are obvious benefits of one solution to another then please put them forward.

Thanks for all the info peeps, BIG help so far.

lets put it this way

message labs for us 99k webroot 49k

webroot can do all your asking and alot more email archiving buisness continuity access image filtering, tls encryption, deep content scanning etc etc

Not a 320d
So its pretty solid then, how does it work, im reading through the info on the main page, clearly its software based, i was hoping really for an appliance (Ironport or sophos web appliance).

DMS

A thirsty 172
Of those, I'd say Postini is the best.
Google took Postini over a few years ago and since then the Google Mail junk email filter uses the same technology. It's very intelligent. If you configure everything correctly and report anything that gets through, it quickly learns patterns and trends as well as using its own logic and filtering mechanisms (reverse DNS lookup, SPF record checking, DNSBL, greylisting, etc). Obviously all of these features can be turned on or off at your leisure, as well as exceptions set for mail relayed through certain servers or from certain domains. You can even disable spam filtering for specific mailboxes within your organisation if you want - ideal for testing purposes.
You also have the option of a quarantine area where an administrator can manually log in and release / delete email that the system is unsure about, or you can set up functionality similar to MIMEsweeper's PMM where every user can log in and release / delete their own mail. Another benefit of this is that it keeps copies of all email a user sends and receives, and it can actually be used like webmail whereby you can compose email directly from a web browser and read your mailbox in a format similar to Google Mail. As for security, you have the option of multi-factor authentication by way of RSA SecurID tokens and a static PIN in addition to the traditional username and password method. It's also useful if a user deletes mail, since you can simply locate it within the Postini eScan interface and re-submit it to your mail server.
As I mentioned above, Postini are now owned by Google. Even before they were taken over, they were handling approximately 80% of the world's email every day and their infrastructure was second to none. It's even better recently - the speed is incredible (almost no latency when waiting for mail to arrive) and the web interface is quick to navigate and manage. It's built on the same principle as all Google's services - cloud computing - whereby the service is hosted and the workload distributed over a huge global network designed from the ground up for redundancy and performance.
Last time I checked it was quite expensive, but is definitely worth it. It's definitely worth the extra cost over MessageLabs.

In addition, it also has various reporting tools built in. You can do things like report on how big a user's mailbox is, how many emails users are sending and receiving, how much spam is getting blocked and the reasons why, see network outages, see the path your email will take to reach a given mail server (kind of like a visual traceroute), see which domains send you the most mail and even see which countries your mail is coming from. All in all, it's a very good service and is well worth the money.

BTW, I'm not a salesman lol. I'm just speaking from experience because I really get on with the service.

Last edited:

DMS

A thirsty 172
Cool. I don't have a lot of experience with it but some of our customers have used it in the past. All I've done is set up the associated MX records and the smart host on customers' mail servers and I haven't really played with the clever side of the service. Might be worth looking into because it sounds quite a bit cheaper than Postini.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
£99k...£49k..Screw that lol..

Custom Linux solution. £0k (except the money for my time of course)

Blocks 95% of spam before any message is even received. of the remaining 5% about 99% of that is correctly identified as spam and dealt with depending on confidence level.