ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EMC

White clique
Hi

Does anyone have any experience with this vendor - are their products any good, do they have a good reputation and are they a vendor that people generally like, or generally hate?

Thought thats who you meant but just wanted to check.

We use some of their stuff at work and have never had any problems really. Their support is pretty good on the odd occasion we've needed it!

White clique
cheers, sounds like you think they are fairly decent! Do you see them more as storage / tin, or would you trust them if they hit you with a cloud campaign?

Mainly storage but we are currently putting a proposal together to try and shift things to the cloud and they will be getting considdered.

White clique
OK interesting, is this the VCE solution?

Reason i ask is that EMC are head hunting me like mad (i'm currently with Gartner) and i'm at 2nd interview stage - these are more informal interviews at this point. I know they are a huge company ($20bn apprantly, but i need to check this out), and they are looking for Account Execs who can come into EMC and get their clients to think of EMC as a serious cloud player, problem they have is that most of their clients still see them as tin shifters, and actually most of their Account Execs still behave in that way.

Although its a big company, i'm struggling a little bit to take them seriously, as the 2 blokes who are interviewing (in their HR dept) are the most cheesy people i have ever met, and were waffling on about how i will earn around £250k, because "everyone does", and i might even earn £471k which is what their top salesman apparantly earns. Now i'm not dumb, and i'm not worth quarter of a mil, so they can stop blagging me if they like. So i'm just trying to separate out the cheese from the reality, and any info on how the clients view EMC is what matters the most!!

dk

911 GTS Cab
hmmm, we sell a lot of it, i personally don't deal with them as i am hp and netapp, i did do some emc courses once but i hated the fact they were running a systems engineer course and we only saw powerpoint sides for a week.

their office is on the A4 just off the flyover from memory.

they are the worlds biggest storage vendor at the moment, so i guess they can't be doing all too badly.

cloud selling is always a harder sell as people feel detached from their data, people don't quite trust it yet for mission critical stuff as its out of their control.

emc are always going to be seen as a tin seller, as are hp and netapp, netapp are trying too, but net app were never known as a tin company, they are a software company who sell tin to run their software on.

the storage business is cut throat, and those figures they are quoting are not hard to achieve as we are talking big deals and lots of margin, so lots of commission. sales guys at our place are on over 250k, thats not hard, as long as you can do the job, love massive targets and failing hard if you miss them.......

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Alan - is that the same gartner that do warehouse management / warehouse control systems and warehouse automation?

dk

911 GTS Cab
no, the IT analysts and research people.

which is ironic as Alan works for the company who would be able to best answer his question in the original post.

Alan, can't you look at the storage papers you guys produce, they will tell you exactly where emc are positioned, and where they sit as visionaries in the magic square etc for cloud services. i'd have thought, of everyone on this site you would be the most informed on the subject tbh, companies rely on the information gartner produce in the first place to make informed decisions about which storage vendor to go with!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
We've just bought a VNX 5500 from them, very good pricing and good support.
No complaints here.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Fingers in many pies as well with VMWare and RSA to name a couple of their companies.

White clique
no, the IT analysts and research people.

which is ironic as Alan works for the company who would be able to best answer his question in the original post.

Alan, can't you look at the storage papers you guys produce, they will tell you exactly where emc are positioned, and where they sit as visionaries in the magic square etc for cloud services. i'd have thought, of everyone on this site you would be the most informed on the subject tbh, companies rely on the information gartner produce in the first place to make informed decisions about which storage vendor to go with!

ok thanks for teaching me about the company i've worked at for 7 years, but i dont think you quite understand the way we work! The reason i was asking is that i doubt anyone on here are CIOs etc who are the buyers, its more a question aimed at techie people like yourself who do implementation etc (which is our Burton content). For something like tin, when EMC are trying to reinvent themselves, its the "do-ers" that will have some decent feedback for me to consider. I've seen all the MQs and done the reading up etc. EMC are posting some pretty impressive figures too - 20% growth YoY which was an eye opener! Certainly worth a look!

I have a friend who works for EMC, on the implementation side of things

Hates them as a company :p

Interesting - has he said much about why?

We've just bought a VNX 5500 from them, very good pricing and good support.
No complaints here.

Sounds positive!

Fingers in many pies as well with VMWare and RSA to name a couple of their companies.

Yes my within the Client Director role they are positioning, i'd head up a team as who all sell these products in to the same accounts (NHS or MOD are the sectors, which i am not mad on but hey ho) and the way it is set up is they have 1 RSA account exec, 1 VMware account exec etc who each sell to my 10 or so accounts, so they want someone who can crack heads together and try and change the mindset of the Account Execs and work more strategically to position cloud serivces and stop being tin shifters. I can see it being a s**t storm with the other Account Execs on my accounts, but we'll see! I am also fully aware that cloud is not exactly flying in government at the moment although they are still talking about it all the time, and with the EMC cloud they are still "out of the box" solutions with the VCE alliance (vmware / cisco / EMC), so there will still be some tweeking and additional costs to make the solutions secure and agile, but at least the data is allegedly in the UK so thats the main hurdle dealt with!! Apparantly their UK cloud business is doing well, but we certainly arent hearing much about government cloud implementations at Gartner, plenty of SaaS but only a handful of real cloud stuff.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I had a good demo of HPs G-Cloud the other week which is aimed at governments, it looked pretty :)

Having previously worked in government, and going back there in a few weeks again in a security role, I can say that it depends on the department as to their willingness and ability to take up a cloud type service for things.

When I was talking to some people at the Land Registry (interview last year, didn't get the job though which now am glad about) they were very much an 'everything will be done in house' kind of people at the time, even saas products were out of favour. We were discussing vulnerability scanning and they said Qualys was a no no.

As said am moving back to public sector, kind of via an outsourcer, so will be interested to see what my new departments take on things are.

You'd think the combo of top class storage + market leading virtualisation + security backed with RSA name would be a winner in the cloud arena.

Last edited:
  White clique
^ indeed! Was the HP data centre in the UK for the cloud stuff do you know? The whole UK public sector cloud "should" open up a bit more now as the g-cloud procurement framework is launched later this month, meaning that the solutions available via it are already box-ticked in the most important places. Then again it could just end up another Cabinet Office Flex / SCC Sprint 2 framework that just dies on its arsehole as people realise its cheaper to buy elsewhere!

Time will tell.

I'll deffo need to check if EMC are on g-cloud framework, if not then its game over.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
It's still the experimental/lab stage at HP, I was given a demo on a trip to HP Labs in Bristol the other week so it was all in house there.

What they've done so far though looked pretty nice, had a lovely UI on it.

dk

911 GTS Cab
blackberry didn't do the cloud any favours last week, shows how vulnerable you are when someone else is looking after your s**t, and that DC was in the UK.....

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
I think that does highlight that if you have a single entity looking after your cloud stuff that kind of thing can happen.

In future cloud implementations I'm sure will be multiple vendor/hosted to try to mitigate such an issue.

White clique
blackberry didn't do the cloud any favours last week, shows how vulnerable you are when someone else is looking after your s**t, and that DC was in the UK.....

Indeed this is the evidence of the pitfalls that cloud presents. For some reason i think Blackberry took the datacentre out themselves, i think it was hacked to bits and they had to take it offline to prevent something big, its just a hunch.

I think that does highlight that if you have a single entity looking after your cloud stuff that kind of thing can happen.

In future cloud implementations I'm sure will be multiple vendor/hosted to try to mitigate such an issue.

For proper cloud based IT the future will defintely be multiple, with the IaaS / PaaS and SaaS bundled up and delivered through a prime contactor as a utility based cloud offering. The big cloud deals out there in the US etc are all bundles up in this way. They need a prime to sort out the SOA stuff in the background, no inhouse department would be able to handle multiple cloud services with a true SOA, too much of a headache and too risky!

But i guess its all the same as it is today, if an Atos / capgem / fujitsu DC goes down etc, without decent DR in place then there are outages just waiting to happen! It happened to Met Police in June - they were without a blackberry server for 4 days!

@Alan - They drive their employees pretty hard for results, he's been there for 4 years and has had enough

OK - good to know. TBH at the moment i have it easy, i know this - so i'll need a rocket up my arse anywhere else!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
For some reason i think Blackberry took the datacentre out themselves, i think it was hacked to bits and they had to take it offline to prevent something big, its just a hunch.

Interesting you should say that, on the day it all kicked off I had someone run over to me to say see what I can find out about the possibility that they had been hacked rather than just a simple system failure ;) (I'm a pen tester/consultant on cyber type issues at a financial, for next couple of weeks anyway)

Last edited:

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Oh, and they've been making lots of people redundant for a while, my mate has survived 2 rounds of it so far, so clearly they like to trim the fat every now and then

White clique
Oh, and they've been making lots of people redundant for a while, my mate has survived 2 rounds of it so far, so clearly they like to trim the fat every now and then

interesting given that they have just posted a 19% YOY revenue increase. Are you sure they arent just trying to give him the bullet?

I'll ask about the redundo when i see them again on Monday.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
interesting given that they have just posted a 19% YOY revenue increase. Are you sure they arent just trying to give him the bullet?

I'll ask about the redundo when i see them again on Monday.

It's been ongoing for a while tbh, I'll speak to him later and see if I can get any more info about them