ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine gone bang

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, doesn't seem to fit in "other Marques" as it's still an RS but I thought people on here may have an opinion on a megane query

So ive recently had some stuttering on acceleration in my rs275.

Car was booked into garage to investigate but in the meantime yesterday the engine light came on, went off quickly.

Then the engine failed today. Currently sat waiting for Rac

I was actually pulling away slowly, changed into second Then Bang! White smoke out the back, dashboard lit up

Oil spewing out

Managed to get to a lay by.

Car stopped smoking pretty quickly

Loads of oil pouring out.

Can I get thoughts on worst and best case scenarios.

It's really s
censored.gif
t but due to various life Stuff at the moment I have enough perspective to see that it's just an object and I'm lucky enough to be OK for spare cash but I'm keen to calibrate my expectations.

Con rod going through would be the worst right? And what would they mean in terms of sorting it? Full new engine etc?

Thanks

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium 182
Hard to say what's caused it, but by the sounds of it it's stuck a leg out of bed (chucked a rod out).

Is it remapped or completely standard?

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Remapped 305/355 intercooler

Wasn't pushing it when it went

It sounded like something exploded out the bottom so I feel like it may be did blow a rod out and now I'm trying to work out how much that's gonna cost to get sorted and what yhe options are gonna be

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Rod through block equals new engine. Maybe even turbo rebuild, oil cooler and intercooler replacement if contaminated.

Assuming you have no warranty on the car?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
sounds like a hole in the block as mentioned above.

cheapest way is a Secondhand engine.
new belts/clutch/consumables.
a good weekends work for a home mechanic or a week at a garage.

probably looking at £3k minimum I’d imagine unless you can do it yourself.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Oh OK thats bad but I had silly numbers hoping through my head to get this sorted, 5k+ but sounds like worst case scenario it still shouldn't be anywhere near that.

Z4x2 & buying a 182
It's gone to Two Techs in Datford who have always looked after me with my 182 and have actually looked after my megane before it was mine

Z4x2 & buying a 182
Thanks all for the help

Where my head is at now....(to try to make me feel a bit better)

If it needs a new engine....

What performance can I go for without spending too much more, if I'm spending on the labour of getting an engine out and in I'm thinking about going fully forged and hybrids etc...

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Yep sounds like its chucked a leg out, quite a few have blown up now as mileage and age is not on their side.

Might be able to salvage the head and a few bits if your lucky. Block is easy to get as can use a 225/r26 one, stick a set of forged pistons and rods in and should have a nice solid engine.