ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Management Light Problem

Ph2 Flamer
The Mrs is having a very odd problem with her 1.4 16v Clio (its an automatic :S but i don't think thats relatated to the fault) which has me stumped.
Basically every day she drives about 11 miles to work down the motorway. Almost without fail about 3 miles into the journey the EML comes on and a short while after it comes on the car makes a "bang" and jerks a bit like when you try and start the car in gear. With the exception she is obviously doing about 70mph. Once its done this bang the engine makes a whining sound and struggles to accelerate (having read a few thread this seems to fit with the limp home mode?)
If she pulls over, turns the car off and then back on the light stays off and she can carry on without any further reoccurence. By and large it doesn't do the same thing on the return journey.
The local dealership have had a look and all their tests say there is nothing wrong but we're obviously worried that something is wrong somewhere and this can't be doing the car any good...

Most of the comments I've read about the engine management light talk about downstream o2 sensors, lambda sensors, MAF etc but mainly its just the light coming on or if there is a noticable drivability issue the problem is fairly constant. In this case though its like the eml comes on because it detects something wrong, something builds up and eventually the car goes bang and then the engine whines and won't rev properly until the cars been restarted. But once its happend once in a day it is extremely rare for it to happen again which makes me wander if its a cold engine issue. That said the engine must be completely cold by the time she drives home so it should happen again.
Anyone come across anything like this before?
Cheers!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds to me like an Upstream O2 Sensor (Lambda) mine used to chug chug chug and hit 3k rpm then just stop reving for 5 seconds or so then start pulling again. but then once it warmed up after a couple of minutes it was fine!

Phase 2 172
had 1 like this in my work, dpo auto gearbox 1.4 16v. it could be slip in the box basically wots happening is the torque converter is going dry and slipping the car then goes into limp mode which makes it stick in third gear till u switch it off. try topping up the fluid that may work its a shitty procedure tho

something along the lines off put 3-4 litres in run engine till gearbox oil reachres 70 degrees then remove the centre sump plug(its a big sump plug with a smaller 1 in the middle) the box has a tube up into which drains the excess oil and see how it goes from there