ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine oil leak on 2002 Renault clio 1.2 16v

2002 Renault clio
Hi I recently brought this car and have noticed an oil leak coming from somewhere at the rear of the engine, it came to my attention as I was driving came to a stop and could smell oil burning I got home and seen smoke coming from the engine I popped the bonnet and the steam/smoke was coming from the left hand rear of the engine it dissipates after a couple minutes but been told could be rocker cover gasket then today put it on the ramps in work and taken the plaster cover from bottom of gearbox and loads of gearbox oil was inside the plastic cover any help please

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Sounds like you’ve diagnosed it yourself..
If there’s gearbox oil on the under tray, then you’ve got a gearbox oil leak, the oil could be going onto the driveshaft and getting spun up the side of the engine.

Does it look fresh or old oil?
Just wipe the area down and check the area again after a drive. Just top the gearbox oil up if you think it might be low.

This might sound pikey, but if it’s turns out just a small amount of engine/gearbox oil seeping out over time, for what a 2002 1.2 is worth, I’d just buy cheap oil and top things up now and again, rather than the cost of stripping/repairing things (if you have to pay a garage)

Obviously it depends on what your intentions are with the car, if it’s just a cheap car to drive while it has MOT etc.

Edit: if you’ve just bought the car, didn’t you look around the engine bay for issues?