ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EPAS conversion

Clio 182
Today I decided after starting my Ac delete to also remove the power steering pump etc , I'm going to do the EPAS conversion .
1 does anybody on here have a full kit ready to sell
2 can this be done with the steering rack and subframe in position or do I need to remove 1 or both of them to do the job ? it seems pretty tight to gain access to the pipes that I need to plug

nash.98

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182, Audi A6
Up to you how you do the rack conversion. You can use a manual rack out of a diesel or you can loop the rack. Personally manual rack would give a better feel and more reliability. If replacing rack would be easier to lower subframe. Easy enough to do though.

I wouldnt make the job more difficult by leaving the rack in place. Albeit mine is manual and no pipes, I can take it out in 8 mins on axle stands. 16mm flexible ratchet spanner and swivel attachments for bottom bolts with impact gun, easy peasy

Also I think I saw a full kit for sale on the for sale section, you have to be a member to see that sub forum.

Clio 182
well im using my current rack I just need to plug it and fit the link pipe , im just curious if this can be done without removing the sub frame and rack ?
ive found the bits on eBay now , I can't see the forsake section

Easier is subjective, more work and more time yeah but less fiddly. As I said, rack out in 8 minutes with subframe on, on a lift more like 4 (if doing it in anger 😁)

Clio 182
ok . rack removal . track rod ends , 4 bolts and split the rack is that all I need to do to remove it ?

I just realised the pas lines, I think you have to twist the rack around because one of them is not a swivel fitting. Drop the subframe with the lines still attached to the rack but disconnected from rez and pas pump. I think this will be the slightly less painful method. Reason I would prefer to keep the subframe attached is the gear linkage, make sure you mark it so it goes back on the same and when removing and putting the subframe back it doesnt get crushed

The lines on the rack that feed fluid to itself can be a bit stubborn so soak them, I had one round a while back, got it with vice grips and heat in the end.