ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ESP - Makes me feel less safe

Elise/VX220/R26

Really noticed this this weekend, I always drive with it off anyway as the geezer at the garage said it gives you better fuel economy. Anyway the last couple of days there have been a couple of times when Ive been driving reasonably hard and when cornering there seems to be a microsecond where the car feels completely out of control. I dont know how esp works but I imagine it cuts power to the side it thinks is in danger of loosing traction and transfers it to the other wheel or just cuts it. I dont know if its that sensation that I can feel but I can definately say that driving with ESP off the car feel much more in control and as odd as it sounds, more stable!

Has anyone else noticed this or whats the concensus of opinion on ESP? I think the car would have been better off without it. Would rather have had cruise control.

like ABS it will kill you faster than a tank shell to the chops.

New cars are for fairies who cant drive with all their crap that dos more harm than good.

Id say ABS saves you, its definately saved me, someone pulled out in front of me on a 60 mile an hour road and I would have definately gone into them if I wouldnt have had ABS.

Clio 1.6 16V

ABS has saved my butt in quite a few occasions so could never knock it. Anybody that does is kidding themselves. OK you can probably stop quicker without ABS but most likely at the wrong angle and in the wrong place (field or lamp post!). I reckon I must be gettin too old or Im just a woos driver as Ive never ever managed to detect the ESP working! But then Ive had about 15 yrs experience of performance RWD and FWD cars before ABS/ASR/ESP was ever invented. What does worry me is that inexperienced drivers jump into modern cars and think they are imortal with all these driver aides.

I know what ESP is, and i know what its suppose to do. However i cant say its ever made my car feel unstable!

Saying that its not often ive had to break or sweve suddenly mid-corner, my clio seems to handle very well although a little body roll the car digs in very well and i can power through and out of corners with ease and confidence providing the conditions are OK ;)

i think they do,call it EBD,not ESP,same job,in mk2 u can turn it on and off,is an odd sensation when it kicks in makes the back feel light,(especailly mid bend).i know shouldnt brake mid bend but had no choice some pillock coming the other way in the middle of the road!!

No, the EBD and ESP are different things. Im no expert, but my MK2 172 didnt have ESP. Def. not as I actually wanted it, but it wasnt brought in until a couple of months after i bought mine.

Rhys

I thought it had summat like that, dont look so silly now :)

Have to agree tho, more than often its other drivers that cause us so many near-misses! :mad:

EBD is to do with the ABS all CLios have it, it means Electronic Breakforce Distribution and monitors the braking on each wheel preventing any of them locking up, ESP keeps th car stable and means Electronic Stability Program. Im sure someone can explain it better than that tho!:oops:

Clio 1.6 16V

ESP has an accelerometer and a sensor in the steering. It compares the attitude/cornering force of the car going around a corner against the amount of relative turn on the steering. If things are out of kilter it starts dropping power and kicking in the ABS/EBD system. The ESP (Electronic Stability Program) and ASR (Anti Slip Regulation - traction control) option was introduced around Aug 2002. This is one of the main reasons why Reno introduced "fly -by-wire" throttle control on the MKII, allowing these systems to take over control.

Elise/VX220/R26

hmmm in that case I think the esp systems is not seamless. I know the idea behind it is that you can chuck the car into a bend and the esp helps you get round it but maybe Im old fashioned. I just wouldnt trust the car to it if you know what I mean. Something about it just dont feel right when your on the limit and not 100% in control of the car....

Mazda 2, MX5 Mk2.5 Sport

what Ive noticed with mine when is when the ESP is off and you giving it some round a sweeping bend (above 70 mph) you get a bit of lift of oversteer at the back and have to use a bit of opposite lock. When the esp is turned on and you lift of the go pedal it feels like the car goes into a slight 4 wheel drift just after the back goes and the car feels kinda light.....I think the car feels more stable with it off to be honest because even when the back does slide its always (so far) easy enough to catch but Im glad the ESP is there for when the missus drives it cause she might get caught out if the back looses grip.