ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ever wondered what would happen

I think the worst example ive seen was seeing a photo of a mk1 golf going into a mk4 golf, the mk1 ended up looking like coke can. Safety is important to me which is why im put off by 106 gtis and the like despite how good they are. On the face of it they look great value but really you can see youre paying for a very dated and dangerous design.

Unlucky mk1 clio owners!!

-Rob

Try a TVR, mate of mine is in surgery (3rd time this week) at the moment, after crashing his, Two broken legs, might loose one of them! lost 8 pints of blood so far!

Ziel Nurburgring

They are 30mph i think. Jeremy clarkson on Topgrear showed a few mashed up cars in the second series. Some were so bad i made you think, Damn im never getting in one of those.

Quote: Originally posted by Pete_172 on 09 October 2003

Try a TVR, mate of mine is in surgery (3rd time this week) at the moment, after crashing his, Two broken legs, might loose one of them! lost 8 pints of blood so far!
When will TVR get over its hyper-machoism bullsh*t? "ABS etc is for pussies".

Sorry to hear about youre mate.

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by blink172 on 09 October 2003

They are 30mph i think. Jeremy clarkson on Topgrear showed a few mashed up cars in the second series. Some were so bad i made you think, Damn im never getting in one of those.
40mph mate.

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 09 October 2003

-Rob
It was a Cerbora, felt uneasy/off balance on every roundabout/corner, felt sellotaped together. Crap power delivery. You guys think renos rattle!!!

Was thinking the other day I wouldnt want to be in it in a crash and now its been confirmed.

40mph. Ouch. looks like 60mph. but i suppose you would be traveling at 60mph and brake to around 40 before impact. Thats really disturbing. Im not going to speed anymore...:cry:

;)

VW Potato

you are the most substantial thing in a TVR.

of course, safety is relative as Robs Golf example shows. A MK4 Golf hitting and S-Class would be quite messy for the Golf folk, I should think.

g

The Jinx

You cant really compare new against old properly. As when the mk1 clio was out, the general safety standard was more similar. Ever wondered if we are actually better off?

People reckon theyre safer in SUVs, and indeed they are, but they are more dangerous for the other person involved in the smash.

My point being, if 2 mk1 clios hit each other, would you be worse off than if 2 mk2 clios hit each other? Surely the deformability of the opposing car should lessen the damage?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Yes. but the deformable barrier is a good test that simulates nearly every type of car.

The mk1 is actually very good if you consider its age

VW Potato

I dont think it would. The deformation would be equal on both; and the deformation would be considerable to both (thats what that NCAP test replicates, which is why the first part of the barrier is deformable, and the second bit harder).

g

VW Potato

Tom, does the barrier simualte every type of car? If so, how?

I thought that the barrier is consistent all the time and so only relative to the car hitting it i.e. the clio crash only shows what a clio would look like after hitting another clio-like/size/weight car, not a clio hitting a lexus?

which is why its wrong to say a five star supermini is as safe as a five star luxury saloon. Not if the two came together it isnt.

(as a test between a Volvo S40 and Polo showed)

g

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

There is a lot more to accidents than the NCAP tests can show

I saw the reckage of and accident between a MK3 Fiesta (tin can) and a MK4 Golf (tank) on the A9 last year. Some kind of head on collision - 2 people wiped out in the Golf:( which was mangled and 3 in the Fiesta hurt but OK. The Fiesta looked repairable but the golf was destroyed. There was nothing else either car could have hit except each other - so feck knows:confused: if you want saftey get a Land Rover Discovery or something.

Same thing 10 miles up the road but this year with a BMW 3 series and a Rover 220 - the BMW was wiped out. I guess its all down to luck.

Oh and on the subject of crashes the A9 is a perfect example of stupid driving not speeding causeing accidents. Lorrys are restricted to 50mph so people overtake in underpowered cars in stupid places - im sure this causes about 80+% of accidents on that road. I should take a camcorder next time on on it.

When ordering my 172 the dealer showed me some pics of a new megan that had a head on with a ford scorpio @ approx 50mph, the megan you could still open and close the doors, the driver was in hospital for a day for whiplash, the Scorpio driver was in for a week!

VW Potato

fascinating doc (speed read it - no pun intended). Makes NCAP findings seem very, very lightweight/superficial. Got anymore?

g

VW Potato

re: Megane v Scorpio, metalurgy (sp) and creation of stronger metals has improved hugely over the last ten years apparently. Makes a big difference to cars safety.

g

The NCAP is superficial..but thats not their fault, manufacturers and governments should be far more active. The fact is the lack of marketing on the subject means know one knows..and then know one cares. Its quite sad that safety is at the bottom of most peoples priorities.

-Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 09 October 2003

fascinating doc (speed read it - no pun intended). Makes NCAP findings seem very, very lightweight/superficial. Got anymore?

g
i have my personal docs but i cant show you them until im approved to do so.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Quote: Originally posted by Scudetto on 09 October 2003

Tom, does the barrier simualte every type of car? If so, how?

I thought that the barrier is consistent all the time and so only relative to the car hitting it i.e. the clio crash only shows what a clio would look like after hitting another clio-like/size/weight car, not a clio hitting a lexus?

which is why its wrong to say a five star supermini is as safe as a five star luxury saloon. Not if the two came together it isnt.

(as a test between a Volvo S40 and Polo showed)

g
I thought that the criteria was how the car withstood the impact. Surly a Four star car like the clio is gonna stand u[i better to the S40 than the polo. Also no small car has got an overall 5 stars yet has it?????

Also encap is never going to simulate all types of crash. The generic style is for comparison.

VW Potato

admits; yes it is better to be in four/five star car, BUT, theres a misconception that a four/five star supermini therefore offers the same protection as four/five star saloon (the way the ratings are simplistically done encourages this comparison/conclusion).

In other words - iif the two were to crash into each other, would you rather be in the five star small car or the five star big car?

g

What TVR was he driving?

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 09 October 2003

-Rob
It was a Cerbora, felt uneasy/off balance on every roundabout/corner, felt sellotaped together. Crap power delivery. You guys think renos rattle!!!

Was thinking the other day I wouldnt want to be in it in a crash and now its been confirmed.
Well I drove Tuscan S every day in the rain and it handles fine. If you drive like a pussy and dont respect the power then you are going to crash it.

PS. How many race cars have ABS? Not many...

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Its not a race car is it.

anyway abs isnt the issue its the way a car is built. after all my car has no abs but id rather be in a clio in a crash.

Funny that the Cerbera and Tuscan are built using the same subframe as the Tuscan Race Cars.

Have you seen one of them in a crash? They can do 180 and dont have ABS either.

My point is that if you are sensible driver and dont drive like a tw*t like overtaking on corners etc then ABS is unecessary. Besides, the McClaren doesnt have ABS, nor does the Enzo...

PS. ABS and Traction Control wont bend the laws of physics so if you are driving like a knob then you will still crash. Of course there is nothing you can do if some other tw*t crashed into you.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Enzo has abs and traction, air bags and it was actually crash tested as was the mclaren (the only car ever to be driven away from a 30mph impact)

anyway i wont have a go as you must have missed my post. or not read it.

And dude its not a race car is it.