ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Everyones Experience Required

Hello ladies and gents. My name is Paul and i am a new poster here. In fact its been a long while since i last visited this site, and its definatly changed for the better.

I own a 1.4 rt 8v clio from 91. Now i have just put some 15 fox 3s on. And although they are not the most expensive wheels i think they fit the clio perfectly. I also put 45 tires on and it looks mint (before anyone says anything thats size 45 not 45 wheels).

I have sorted the sound with an accoustic shelf with resident sony 6x9s. A Sony MD/Multi CD Head unit and subwoofer with amp. It sounds brilliant. I am a amature sound tech so i got all my levels perfect. (Right thats enough boasting now) So i got the wheels sorted and the sounds, but i need advice on some other mods.

I am thinking about induction and full exhaust system as the basics. But i want loads of power out of my little engine. I am only 20 (21 in may) so insurance is a little high. £1000 at the moment. So what can you suggest? What induction kit should i go for? What exhaust system will give me the most power? Because the car is 1991 its legal to pop a decat pipe on. So which would you suggest? I want to know everything that can be done. (excluding an engine transplant) I have been told i will be raped by the insurance companies if i do that. So i want to do everything but. The car has only done 45k (i know its almost to good to be true, but the AA says its all genuine) So its got a bit of life left in it.

I have my eye on a terminator 1 body kit and a rear spoiler with all the lights on it.

So come on, hit me with all the knowledge thats hidden in this forum.

What would you guys suggest?

paul

GR7

Shiny red R32

You might have to wait until BenR gets back from France, as he seems to have a lot of knowledge and information on these things!

GR7

Shiny red R32

I dont know when he will be back, but he is conspicuous by his absence!

id recommend a green induction kit if ya getting one, there the best ive ever had.

yes to exhaust system too, most are good.

but if u want more power its gonna cost a lot on insurance.. head and cams, lightened and balanced, performance manifolds and such, u can make the 1.4 as quick off the mark as a 1.8 16v, but it costs a lot.

BMW 320d Sport

Like Ben says it can be done. Its pretty boring but you just follow the usual route - induction, exhaust, decat, chip, power boost valve, ecotek, fast road cams, head work. And then youll see probably another 30bhp tops.

Or spend under a grand on buying and fitting a 50bhp nitrous kit.

In my opinion the Hill Power induction kit takes some beating.

It might be a bit more expensive at around £100 but its specifically designed to reduced warm air reaching the filter, which would otherwise cause nasty flat spots and a decrease in performance.

As for an exhaust, I have an Ashley full cat-back system. It was cheap and VERY loud and with a 4" tailpipe its certainly not subtle. The noise it makes was wicked to start with, but now its getting on my nerves a bit some when I can afford to I am going to get a custom made stainless exhaust from Powerflow or somewhere similar. I would definately recommend that you do this, coz it isnt much more expensive and you get a perfectly fitting exhaust with limitless tailpipe designs to choose from and a lifetime gaurantee.

I would also recommend an ECU chip aas a next step, as this will help to improve fuelling which might be a bit lean after the above mods. Be careful though as some insurance companies do not like these at all.

You might also consider an ecotek device, which are supposed to improve both acceleration and fuel consumption. I have one of these but havent got round to fitting it yet.

As mentioned previously you could go for the full head/cam work from Hill Power as a guy called Darren did, That engine is now in Ben Rs clio, (Or soon will be) and is producing around 130bhp I think. The thing is this wont be cheap and insurance will be much higher. (Probably not much different from an engine transplant I reckon).

If you come on here regularly you will often here me going on about what to do with my engine. I cant decide whether to mod it fully (head and cam) or go for a transplant.

Something that might interest you is Hill Power are now doing a 1.6 8valve conversion. (engine from a Megane) This engine can be sourced and fitted with all necessary items for around £2400 which is about what you would spend on head/cam work. Nick Hill has done this in his own clio and it apparently flies! I spoke to him and he reckoned it was doing 16.1 second 1/4 mile times! And it hasnt been tuned yet. Also the insurance companies might go a bit easier on you coz its only a 1.6.

Finally (and sorry I am going on so much) there is the infamous turbo conversion. So far nobody has developed a conversion for the 1.4 clio (though I have been nagging a couple of companies for ages now), but Van Aaken are working on one for the Twingo, which they reckon might be able to be adapted for the Clio. This would mean you wouldnt have to get rid of your low mileage engine, but would get a big increase in performance and individuality.

Hope any of this helps, if you got any more questions or ides about 1.4s let me know. Also if you can get any pics of your car e-mail me them I would be interested in having a look!

Cheers
Ben

ff 182

Hi mate ive got a RT as well i havent done much to the engine a part from Hill power Induction Kit which are the best and a full stainless steel exhaust from longlife.

Like everyone else has said bens car will be the best RT on the road but im gonna wait and get a 16v clio,megane or a williams by the way im 20years old and paying £730 fully comp.

Cheers Pete
Welsh Rep RSC

Hey hey hey, 750? Where the ruddy hell from?

And thanks for everyones suggestions. I think i will get my insurance out the way, then look at an induction and exhaust. I really really want a 1.8 16v but i havent found any insurance company who will insure me on one. If i could get one to do it with out killing my bank account i would jump at it. I love clios, especially the older ones. I think they look better modified than the new ones do. But then again i think thats the same with a lot of cars.

Thanks again

paul

ps that was a long post, and i think i will come along regulary. (forum i mean)

Oh i just remembered what i forgot to ask. Whats the current 0-60 time and bhp on a car like mine? (91 8v 1.4 rt unmodified engine wise)

Also after adding each part,

induction
exhaust system
cat bypass
chip
FSE boost
Eckotek (thats spelt wrong)
etc

what increase in these figures (bhp, 0-60 time) will i be looking at?

paul