ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Recommissioning the 172

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Not sure this is the right section, (feel free to move if needed admin)

I'm recommisioning my 172 after being off the road for a few years again. I still start it regularly etc but it's time for new tyres so I might for the first ever time change to 15" wheel and tyre setup. I also want to do the standard belts, pulleys, water pump. The current dephaser has been on for about 6 or 7 years, not making any noise but should I change it anyway and buy the whole kit? It's done about 300 miles in 6 years.

I also want to do the engine mounts as they are tired and cracked badly. Where is the best place to purchase these?

The reason it's been off the road is I employed a mechanic to fix a brake mc issue. He had the car 45 days and when he gave me it back the bonnet was a state as he had clearly shut it on his tools then bashed the hell out of it. Killed my enthusiasm for the resto. Has anyone got a good silver bonnet for sale or is there a poly upgrade nowadays?

I would appreciate as much help as possible on this as I've had the car a long time and i want to start using it again.

Thanks

Hopefully I'll get some replies?

Bren

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
The belt job is expensive so IMO you’re best doing it all in one go, not worth saving a few pounds on a dephaser for example to have it start sounding like a tractor 1000 miles down the road and have to spend the same again.
Stick a wanted post on here for a bonnet, few people break Clios on here. Although if you’re going resto I wouldn’t worry too much about the colour and pick up a cheap one with no rust or dents, quite sure the sport bonnets are identical on a standard mk2, then have it painted.
People were recommending a pattern bonnet on here from Euros a few years ago, but I’m not sure they’re available anymore. Have a search I’m sure you’ll find the brand.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
I got a full set of engine mounts, I think from Renault Parts Direct?

Car drove lovely after fitting them.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
If dephaser was new 300 miles ago, i wouldnt bother changing it.

Id do cambelt kit and aux kit, water pump if not done before.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
As above, if I don't know the oil history or its not been great then I change the dephaser, if its good and been done before I wouldn't bother unless its noisy

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
If dephaser was new 300 miles ago, i wouldnt bother changing it.

Id do cambelt kit and aux kit, water pump if not done before.
They were all done at the same time but like I say although it's only 300 miles ago, it's several years now. Where is the best place to buy the kit?? Thanks for your input

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
As above, if I don't know the oil history or its not been great then I change the dephaser, if its good and been done before I wouldn't bother unless its noisy
It's been my car for 14 years and my brother owned it for a year before that so I've got all the history for it.

bren172

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
The belt job is expensive so IMO you’re best doing it all in one go, not worth saving a few pounds on a dephaser for example to have it start sounding like a tractor 1000 miles down the road and have to spend the same again.
Stick a wanted post on here for a bonnet, few people break Clios on here. Although if you’re going resto I wouldn’t worry too much about the colour and pick up a cheap one with no rust or dents, quite sure the sport bonnets are identical on a standard mk2, then have it painted.
People were recommending a pattern bonnet on here from Euros a few years ago, but I’m not sure they’re available anymore. Have a search I’m sure you’ll find the brand.
Yup as I've replied to the other lads on here I will do everything properly just have been struggling to find the whole kit for an air con car. I'm keeping the air con as I tend to run hot in life no matter what the weather.
I'll ring eurocarparts today and try my luck. Mine is knackered, too wavy and messed up. I'll still keep it as a spare though