ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Everything is pointing towards a HG failure

Hi guys, my missus has a 53 plate 1.2 Dynamique, she was otw home last night as it overheated and the stop light came on, AA came out and immediatly said it was the headgasket.
I filled up the water this morning and checked the oil (was lowish) and ran it for about 15 minutes, temp didn't get above halfway but there was a little bit of smoke/steam loitering between the front of the block and the radiator but didn't smell bad.

Every once in a while water would drip underneath but seemed to be oil free.
Is there a chance it could just be a dead water pump or potentially that and the HG failed as a result?

Will pop it to a garage tomorrow either way but didn't wanna go in blind

Pics:-
IMAG0116.jpg

From the dipstick
IMAG0117.jpg

IMAG0119.jpg

IMAG0118.jpg

Any help greatly appreciated

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Providing the cars not overheated badly, you probally will just need to fix the water leak. All the 1.2's have that condensation underneath the oill filler cap.

BMW M135i
Providing the cars not overheated badly, you probally will just need to fix the water leak. All the 1.2's have that condensation underneath the oill filler cap.
Not that much they don't, looking like possible hgf tbh. Can you see where the water is leaking from?

No i can't, doesn't seem to be from the block itself abut cannot see all of it, the water dripping is just water, have tasted it ;)

Haven't seen that much mayo under the cap in the past plus she doesn;t do any short trips atall, usually atleast 10 miles + at a time.

Lost half the water in total from running for about 20 minutes, no overheating but then the water would run out eventually.

Tried getting the oil level again and the oil isn't just at the bottom of the dipstick it';s smeared all up it even after a wipe so makes me think it's gettng thinned down by some water.

Wouldn't mind as much but only got the cambelt done just over a month ago lol

Waters not leaking from the thermostat housing is it? On the right hand side of the engine, black thing that connects to the block.

Not that i can see, will have a good look tomorrow afternoon when i get in from work and have a look at the thermostat itself

How hard is it to remove and replace the engines on these?

Have helped with a few on 106's /saxos so have a basic understanding, just that i can source an engine for sub £300 which woud be cheaper than what a garage would most likely charge me if it was only the HG

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Pretty straight foward. Days work if you know what your doing and you got someone giving you a hand.