ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

evo track day hot hatch test 2000 :)

mk2 172

courtesy of ralph

tested at anglesey

VTS - 56.8 secs
306 GTI 6 - 56.9 secs
Clio 172 - 57.0 secs
106 GTI - 57.2 secs
Audi A3 1.8 T - 57.6 secs
Golf 1.8 T GTI - 57.6 secs
Leon Cupra - 57.9 secs
Proton Satria - 58.4 secs
Rover 25 GTI - 58.6 secs
Fiesta Zetec-S - 59.4 secs
Civic Jordon - 60.2 secs
Punto HGT - 60.2 secs
Lupo Sport - 60.4 secs
Skoda Fabia - 61.1 secs
Fiat Seicento - 66.7 secs

another result

BMW X5, Exige 260.

isnt it a very tight circuit twhere outright power is less important than agility and braking, so favouring very small light cars - eg VTS?

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

On the weekend the Honda club here in Johannesburg put together a little time trial at our local hooning spot which consists of some short straights, some long curves, some hairpins. Basically a track which requires excellent use of the brake (both foot, and hand if you have the skill), and agility.

On the day there were millions and millions of tuned (and even a few blown) Hondas, an MX-5, a couple of Scoobys and a Clio 172 mk2.

Fastest time of the day was set in the Clio at 55 seconds, the Scoobies were close behind at 56 seconds, and only 1 Honda broke the 1 minute mark.

Incidentally the driver of the Clio has also put a mk1 172 round this very same piece of tarmac and has stated that the mk1 is more of a drivers car with better agility and responsiveness than the mk2...so dont you go knocking us old boys ;)

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

On the weekend the Honda club here in Johannesburg put together a little time trial at our local hooning spot which consists of some short straights, some long curves, some hairpins. Basically a track which requires excellent use of the brake (both foot, and hand if you have the skill), and agility.

On the day there were millions and millions of tuned (and even a few blown) Hondas, an MX-5, a couple of Scoobys and a Clio 172 mk2.

Fastest time of the day was set in the Clio at 55 seconds, the Scoobies were close behind at 56 seconds, and only 1 Honda broke the 1 minute mark.

Incidentally the driver of the Clio has also put a mk1 172 round this very same piece of tarmac and has stated that the mk1 is more of a drivers car with better agility and responsiveness than the mk2...so dont you go knocking us old boys ;)

Ive still got the magazine with this article in it (i had just bought my VTS and a mate had a Clio 172), the VTS was quicker around the track than all the cars as stated, but they were all driven by the same bloke i believe (ill have to check the article when i get home) who was a track day guy there. They then took them all out around the a/b roads, where they preferred the 106GTI above all else as it was more forgiving on the turns if you got it wrong than the VTS. Overall the 106GTI was top, then the 172 (for only being a tenth or 2 slower, but fully loaded with all the extras air-con/leather etc) then the VTS.

Saying that, if i had the extra couple of thousand plus if they had done free insurance for a year, i would have got the 172 instead of the VTS.

Ahhh, knew it was a peugeot that won it, kind of rings a bell now.

What did you think of the Cup then? i just sold my VTS for 4.5k and ordered a Cup, feels kind of the same in 1st/2nd, then seems to pull better in 3rd/4th & 5th.

Yeah i liked the Cup, it handles better than the VTS but the performance didnt impress me so much. Didnt feel much quicker than the VTS to be honest.

I was expecting it to be real mad with the power to weight ratios....

VTS - 130 bhp per tonne

Cup - 171 bhp per tonne

Yeah, best i got offered by Renault was £4500 for my V Reg 21000 miles Vts and then 11995 for the car. I ended up selling it to a lad from the saxosportsclub.com website for £4500 and then ordered the Cup from showroom4cars.com for 10899, so a total of £6400 + my car for the Cup.

From what i can gather though, the a*se has fallen out of the 2nd hand Vts market, as they are just not selling at the moment, unless you plan on waiting for quite a while.

Insurance was cheaper than the Vts though, got that for £487 from AXA instead of £540 for the VTS!

Just got to make do with a company Vectra for now.

But the Cup is insurance group 16 and the VTS is group 14??????? What?!

I may go and order the Cup later on today, not sure.

lol I remember the test - was going to buy a VTS because of it but prices were too high for me at the time. Still have the Mag somewhere!

clio 20v

adis 2.0 clio- so fast it got round the track got back to the pits an i had time for a brew, fag an knocked one off before the saxo finished

VTS - 56.8 secs
306 GTI 6 - 56.9 secs
Clio 172 - 57.0 secs
106 GTI - 57.2 secs
Audi A3 1.8 T - 57.6 secs
Golf 1.8 T GTI - 57.6 secs
Leon Cupra - 57.9 secs
Proton Satria - 58.4 secs
Rover 25 GTI - 58.6 secs
Fiesta Zetec-S - 59.4 secs
Civic Jordon - 60.2 secs
Punto HGT - 60.2 secs
Lupo Sport - 60.4 secs
Skoda Fabia - 61.1 secs
Fiat Seicento - 66.7 secs

320d M Sport

im sh!t scared of totalling my 172 on a track day!! no way could i afford to

a) Crash

b) Claim and loose 2 yrs ncd :(

lol, safe as, jsut dont go nuts, simple.....drive where you feel safe.

far safer than even dirving midly fast on the rd.

What about wear and tear on the car - things like brakes and discs? I read about people killing them on a track day! Ive never been on one yet but the possible cost of replacing bits has put me off.

in the 30th edition of the same mag,the 172 which was a long term test car went for service and was found to have all its suspension geometry to pot!

QUOTE "The torque-steer and tail twitchiness were all but irradicated,to the point where i am sure it would have beaten both the 106 and 306 in the gti test (iss 24)"

not so cocky now.

and for the comment of it was a mk1..dont start ,slower to 60,more weight etc etc. ;)

wear and tear, its always gonna happen......but how can you buy a fastish car, then not use it and compain about it using up consumables.

Just a part of life, enjoy it!

I drive very enthusiasticly on the back roads where I live so dont worry about a pampered Willaims;)! So as far as that goes I cant see why a track would make much difference - its just other peoples comments than made the track=things going pop impression on me.

there are the unlucky few who over rev it, touch the limiter, change gear overly fast (its a track day, not a race) brake too hard etc.

You can go just as fast without driving like a rockape........

the amount of people you see understeering round quarry, smoke pouring off and going no faster than the car after it driving smoothly.

yeah was at knockhill once where I was a 106 gti showing up a few Scoobies in the cornering stakes. I would have to go to knockhill as Engerlund is too far - it wouldnt be so bad if the trains still did Motor-rail!

Elise/VX220/R26

best way to sort this one out is how clarkson does it. With a cool board.

Clio 172/williams/16v/cup = Uber cool

Saxo vtr/s = uncool

[:p]

women....:p

come to combe..........then you can choose if you want to go out later on in teh day, watch others.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

I got the final results of the Honda day (and it appears later on a few other cars broke the minute mark)

Here are some of the results

1. Clio 172 (David Fong) - 55.50
2. Civic VTEC (David Fong) - 56.00
3. Subaru STi - 56.00
4. Toyota MR2 Turbo - 57.00
5. Subaru STi - 58.00
6. Ford Laser 1600i (David Fong) - 58.56
12. MX-5 - 1.00.00
13. Civic 160i Supercharged - 1.00.00
15. BMW 328i - 1.00.00
29. Hyundai Elantra - 1.03.00
33. Civic VTEC Turbo - 1.05.00

David isthe guy who owns the 172. The Ford is his daily run about, but its a quick little thing. He borrowed the Civic on the day, for comparison purposes.

I think this just goes to show that a FWD in the right hands can make some supposed superior RWD and AWD cars look a little stupid.

Andrew the driver of the MX-5 spun it a few times.

2005 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

There is a track day coming up on sunday and Im thinking about going round the track...might go practice on saturday though