ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Excel pissing me off...

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
There is normally an excel guru at work but he's on holiday, and I can't find my answer on google.

My formulas aren't calculating.

EG if i typ a1+2 in a cell, it wont give me the value of a1+2, it just displays exactly what I have typed (=a1+2).

Have checked the settings and it set to automatically calculate and the formulas are also not set to show.

It has something to do with the format of the sheet I am using (excel 4 i think), but I can't work out what (cell formats etc are correct).

Has anyone got any idea?

Thanks

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
No i'm doing a complex(ish, for me anyway) nested if/vlookup/text string values formula.

The actual formula is below:

=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(LEFT(I3,1))),IF(AND(ISTEXT(LEFT(I3,1)),ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(I3,2,3))),ISTEXT(RIGHT(I3,3))),"OLD REGISTRATION",IF(AND(ISTEXT(LEFT(I3,2)),ISNUMBER(VALUE(MID(I3,3,2))),ISTEXT(RIGHT(I3,3))),"NEW REGISTRATION","ANOMALY OR PRIVATE REGISTRATION")),"ANOMALY OR PRIVATE REGISTRATION")

The formula does exactly what I want it to do when I knock up some test data in a new file - No issues with my formula. The issue is the format somehow of my data ( there are 66,000 rows (IE Max that excel can handle)).

I used the example in my OP to simplify things.

Dan, you don't have to type =sum if you are just adding two numbers together ;)

Megane 225 F1
Oh well. Adding two cells is the extent of my excel knowledge. I find it the worst bit of my course.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
It's great when it does what you tell it to do.

10% of the time though it doesn't listen to you

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Your cells are formatted as 'Text'. If you change the format back to 'General' (or something else), it'll start taking notice of your '=' sign again ;)
You were correct (kind of).

Some (not all) of the values in my workbook were formatted as text, but when I selected it and changed it to number it ignored me. Ended up doing it through error checking and it works now!

Thanks.

Hyundai i40
glad you got it sorted, do u have to ask questions all the time, if regular forum guru is on holiday?

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
My knowledge of excel before starting this job was really basic.

In the past month i've learn't a s**t load of stuff. Before I knew said expert I asked on CS, but now if I get stuck on anything I just give him a bell and he comes and gives me a bit of help.

As mentioned though he's not in and no one else knew why it was doing it:(

PS I am the forum guru

VaVa
I fecking hate excel. Never really had to use it much until now. It can be a little b**ch for no reason sometimes. Seems to do s**t of it's own accord tbh. :eek:

DCi
if you go tools > options > somewhere in there there is a tick box like 'show formulas in cells instead of calculated results' i thought you was gonna have that one ticked... depends on version of office as to where youll find it exactly :s