ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F4R variants

Clio 172
Am currently weighing up my options to build a dedicated track car and am curious to know a bit more about the different f4r engines, in particular the one found in the espace, as they appear to be much more plentiful over here in breakers yards than the 172/182 f4r.

So these have the same basic block, with different internals right? What about the head casing? Are manifold spacings the same as a 172/182? Will inlet and exhaust manifolds off 172/182's bolt on? Can espace ecu's be mapped? Or can the engine be run with a 172 ecu?

RB 182
It would be nice if they were as sourcing a decent block would be a hell of a lot cheaper than looking for a 172/182!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
i have been trying to look into this myself . if were both on about the same engine (130bhp) then from what i can work out there identical apart from the sport obvs having vvt better manifold and inlets etc which would account for the extra power variation between the two .
im not sure about the head itself between the two models but imo you would be better of getting a phs1 172 head and fitting it to a lag/espace block etc. also i believe with the laguna you get the cup alternator set up which means no heavy AC leaching power from your engine

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
will save a few quid.. its ideal for me as il be fully rebuilding what ever engine goes in mine. but for some thats a problem so its worth the extra for it to come built