ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

F9Q - cambelt

F9Q = bottle of tip-ex

IIRC the pulleys are keyed so is hard to f**k it up

And im sure the new belts have the white lines on for the crank pulley, the cam pulley and the diesel pump. So only a r****d can get it wrong.

Yea lots of room to work, key wayed, marks on the new belt etc. Although im not sure if non-gen belts will have the marks as i only ever fitted gen belts.

Lionel Richie
cool, i've done a few before, just can't remember if renault tools were needed, pretty much the same as a 1.2 16V really

Yea pretty much the same. I used the crank locking pin, but in theory its not needed, if the marks on the belt match the dot on the crank, cam and pump it cant be wrong.

Just make sure u remove the belt with the cam pulley mark and the pump mark facing up, and obviously the crank mark will be facing down.

Not trying to tell the meister how to suck eggs mind! ;)

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
na its cool man, cheers for the reminder/words of advice, i'm not too proud to ask for advice even though i do what i do!

Just remember the crank tool doesnt slot into the crank IIRC, it rests on a lip so the crank can still move counter clockwise...highly irritating.

Its stupid.

Clio 172 Cup
Sorry to resurrect an old thread guys but can anyone help with the tensioning process for a belt on the F9Q. I need to do one on my Megane but I've read on another forum it needs to be tensioned by twanging the belt and listening to the sound frequency using a Renault tool that cost near £1k!!!:eek:

Is this the case or is it safe to just give it a twist and get an idea that way?

Some very clever stuff has been talked about on the Renault owners forum that uses PC Oscillation software and a microphone to get this done but it all seems very complicated for what is a very simple process.

Any information much appreciated.

Nobody ever bothers with it!

align pointer in the window, turn it over a few times, locking tools back in to check - done

ITB'd MK1
I've got one of those tension testing tools made by gates. It's never had the batterys in it since i've owned it, and the calculations you have to do to be able to use it are crazy, the instruction book is about 20mm thick. nothing wrong with a twist test and make sure it's not screaming from being over tightened once running

Clio 172 Cup
Great, thanks for all your responses guys.

I've never had the bottle to do a cambelt before but the simplicity of this job, with the exception of the frequency tensioning procedure, made me think its one to break myself in with.

Got all the bits, the official Renault engine manual and reasuring forum support so here goes!

Many thanks.