ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

failing to retain coolant problem :-(

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Driving home the other day I unfortunately heard a large clunking noise from under the car and since then the car hasnt been right

:dapprove:

Basically it all came to a head today, I had noticed the other day when attempting to inspect the damage caused by the clunking noise that I had lost a bit of gearbox oil (sub 5ml) in my garage, not good. However I had noticed their was no coolant whatsoever in the car, which was odd. However I topped it up and all seemed ok.

Was 40 mins into a 45mile trip and then the inevitable temp guage started to rise. Hit the red section, so promptly pulled over, 1 litre of coolant fired in and this lasted 5 mins. ARSE!
:rolleyes:
SO managed to stop again, just I think as I was worried it was going to cut out with the light on, but made it, 3 litres of coolant and some water. All was well. Got to destination.

Then went to head home (3 Hours or more after the overheating) and it was fine for 20mins then started acting up again.
I stopped again, filled up with anti freeze and water, babied it home. Got home with no issues, fired into garage, evidence of leak, but hard to tell where as it was raining and ground wet.

Inspected tonight and my list has been as follows: -

Removed airbox to check radiator, no lose clips, hoses or the like
The coolant reservior has sunk below 'min' depsite being at 'max' earlier.
Left car to cool, topped up later on and started up again - car started to leak underneath the car at around the gearbox area. Steady drip of water/ cooolant on the garage floor.

Any ideas? Clearly the clunk the other day has wrecked something, but im foxed as to what it is and why im getting water and coolant now escaping

:mad:

What car is it mate? Got exactly the same problem as you at the moment. Mine comes from the same place aswell if it's a small leak best bet is just to put your hand on the pipes when it's cold and try and feel where it's wet. Could the clunk have been something hitting the radiator? Incidentally mines seems to be coming from where the coolant pipes go into the bulkhead though probably doesn't help you.

ITB'd MK1
be easiest to find the leak if you let it dry off overnight actually. Coolant normally dries kind of white and furry or crystalised so that should lead you to the leak.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
found it, split pipe from the bulkhead, right on a bloody U bend as well, directly above gearbox and clutch assembly.

So either replace the pipe - which looks like a royal pain in arse or repair.

Hmmm