ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fallen in love with a 200

GTD, Lupo
I have run Hid kits for the last 3 years on other cars and they were totally legal if below 6k. As for washers there is no need. As long as the bulbs are oil free and you fit them correctly they are safe.

Passed 3 mots with them...

Paul

GTD, Lupo
ye but aftermarket HID kits look s**te IMO plus im not sure if the 200 has the correct optic-lens in the headlight to take HIDs

Totally depends on the kit. Done right it looks good and is very clear. No need for an optic lens as they are just brighter bulbs in the long run.

Paul

clio sport rs 200
there a big thing on google about it that you need washers all my other cars had washers and that is a thing that is needed

GTD, Lupo
there a big thing on google about it that you need washers all my other cars had washers and that is a thing that is needed

Crazy talk. The lights on the clio are plastic. Glass you would need washers (maybe). Are you sure your not confused with somethign that is illegal?

Just to add i work on Helicopters and we have a light called "night sun" Brighter than most prob about 200 HID kits strapped together and that has no washers???

Paul

clio sport rs 200
nai dude serious mates a traffic cop and if u get a pissed off cop they can do you for it for they need it so if any smears comes off the lights wouldnt lie just dont wanna see any 1 when get a pissed off cop to book uses

GTD, Lupo
If the kits have all the correct markings and are DOT approved they are legal :D

simples.bmp

GW RS200
How much were xenons as an option on 197's then? I must say the lack of them on the 200 dented it's appeal for me for a long time. I got over it though, once I read the reviews!! Would still have spec'd them though and paid up to about a grand I think if they were available. It's a big part of a car's appeal at night for me. I guess a retro fit at some some stage could be an option in the future, they are bound to make it to some version of the 200 I'd imagine.

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
no washers, no auto levelling = illegal

quote from directgov website

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

this is being rather picky but you could be prosecuted for it, now probably 98% of all Aftermarket HID kits fitted to cars in Britain don't have self-level and washers but doesn't mean its legal

clio sport rs 200
why would i be dude , says everywhere clearly you have not done your research and i have for a totaly legal kit need washers not sayin police will pull you all time for the lights if any that is but they can if they wanted to and if they are fussy cops trust me and that guy above has the clear rules so there you go dude

Last edited:
  GTD, Lupo
no washers, no auto levelling = illegal

quote from directgov website

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

this is being rather picky but you could be prosecuted for it, now probably 98% of all Aftermarket HID kits fitted to cars in Britain don't have self-level and washers but doesn't mean its legal

Yeah just found this aswell :D Take it all back.. sorrys all round, if it is the case but look at the date of the law :p

Guess its like anything else really. Cut plates, show plates, banded steels, stretched tyres, poke on and on.

When i fitted all my kits in the past all have passed an mot beam test. I will be running a kit on mine soon as the lights are pretty poor atm. :D Dont give the cops a reason to pull you in the first place is always the best way to go.

Paul

clio sport rs 200
but still me is gonna get a kit but tryin to wait to see if renault release a kit or not :( hope soo so got my guarantee :)

GTD, Lupo
I would imagine the next model will come with them. If they do the Gordini model i recon our luck will be in :D

Paul

clio sport rs 200
heres hoping dude for they do make a white car look better even know it looks awsum the now at night would look even better hope its the full kit tho auto leveling and washers everythng