ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO Anyone With Retro-Fitted Xenons

BMW M135i
Did your car pass its MOT with them in?

I'm fully aware of all the legal stuff in relation to these but i'm sure i've read thats someones car passed with them in. My MOT is next week and I don't want to end up paying for two, i'll just put the standard halogens back in and get the MOT done then refit the xenons if it won't pass with them fitted.

BMW M135i
These:
IMG_0374.JPG

HIDs. I'm fully aware of the legal rammifications I just want to know if other peoples have passed.

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Well I cant answer for other people who have had tests done very recently, but I do know there was a VOSA directive sent to all MOT stations reminding them of the illegality of retrofitted HID lights.

So I guess it comes down to how each testing station observes the rules, or until VOSA put a test car through them and they get a warning or de-listed.

BMW M135i
Hmm. Might ask the MOT place about it but i've got a feeling that bumper is coming off this weekend. Don't want to ask them and remind them about it.

Chelsea tractor
On a side-note, is there any way to fit them legally? Would you need to have a specific light casing and auto-levelling unit?

BMW M135i
Well there the 182 Xenon clusters but I imagine you'd need to fit headlight washers and the autoleveling to make them 100% legal.

Chelsea tractor
If it's an actual hid cluster then it would surely be ok wouldn't it? I thought they fail people because the dipped beam does not have a definite edge if you just fit hid's to normal clusters?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Yes thats the only way, fit the complete Renault headlights, and washers, with the self levelling system. Its not a massive job, just a bit costly.

The problem only arises when you fit the conversion kits into the standard lens/reflector assembly.

BMW M135i
Well this is my point as those clusters are the actual Renault fit HID clusters with the projectors designed to suit. But I assume it'll still fail as there sans washers and leveling.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
Xenons or HID ?

They're the same thing.

And that link you posted is over a year and a half out of date, and its b****cks to boot.

HID kits are legal, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them as widely as they do.

I've never heard of people being failed for having them, but have seen plenty of people who have had them installed to their vehicle.

You don't need washers if you put them on after you've bought the car, the same goes for self-levelling.

BMW M135i
Xenons or HID ?

They're the same thing.

And that link you posted is over a year and a half out of date, and its b****cks to boot.

HID kits are legal, otherwise they wouldn't be selling them as widely as they do.

I've never heard of people being failed for having them, but have seen plenty of people who have had them installed to their vehicle.

You don't need washers if you put them on after you've bought the car, the same goes for self-levelling.

Now I understand this but i'm wondering if i'm going to run into complications as there the standard fit clusters, despite them being retrofit. That and this recent VOSA thing does seem to tan them pretty well iirc. Wouldn't mind seeing it again actually to have a read if anyones got a link? BrainR?

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Xenons or HID ?

They're the same thing.

Come back when you know what you are talking about, :rasp:

Chelsea tractor
  Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
Thats my diped beam lol and no its not a HID bulb xenons on a 182 are on out side lol

BMW M135i
Well the dip beam on my old 1.2 was on the outside, and i'm sure the original halogens on the 1.6 were too.

IMG_4310.JPG

They're the same thing.

No they aren't. Xenon's are normal bulbs, with xenon gas in instead of halogen.

HID's are High Intensity Dishcarge lights, with which the bulbs don't have a normal filament, but an arc of light.

The conversion kits aren't legal either.

Yes they are the same thing. I have xenon lights on my car, and they also known as HID. The brochure says xenon lights.

They're the same thing.

Come back when you know what you are talking about, :rasp:

Well thats a nice thing to say. But I'm not going anywhere.

I love that auto express safety guide, he's a complete tosser. Relating headlights to death. What a joker.