ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

FAO mk1 owners: F0xy, Whiteley, Matteh etc etc

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
My fuel pump is fubar'd. Went to take the car out the garage just now and its fecked. A whack with a hammer used to fire it into life but the hole in the top of it suggests i've been whacking too hard for too long.

Now, i'm told I need to remove the fuel tank to get to it....?

BUT!!! The previous owner has cut (Yes, CUT!) a hole in the floor directly above the tank presumably as he had the same problems...

So Can I just undo the screws and life the pump out? Or is it connected inside the tank?

I've never even looked at this setup before..... :S s

'92 172, Lotus Elise
if you have access it's easy peasy, yeh

it's held in by that big plastic circular thing... tap that round (anti clockwise) with a screwdriver/hammer and then you should be able to lift the pump housing straight out

are you going to replace with another valver unit? or go for an uprated pump?

you can just make out the plastic retaining thingy in this pic (there is one around both units)

DSCF3576.jpg

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Well my plan (ages ago) was to remove it and see what upgraded units were about on ebay etc. A guy on the valver forum recomended a warlboro uprated jobbie but i'm unsure if a standard 172 engine would need it?? :S

Tbh, I will probably just go to GSF/ECP and get a non gen one as I need it roadworthy sunday because its going for an MOT on monday.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
No no no!!

there is the standard hole, and then there is my hole that has been cut with what can only be described as a tin opener.

The factory hole sits over the white part in the pic above. My ''tin hole'' hole sits next to it, above the black part in the pic above.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
one on the left of that pic, yeh

I've got an uprated one in mine. They're about £75 off ebay.. rude not to! :D

if you're replacing just the pump, you need to drill out the 2 rivets on the bottom so you can remove the outer plastic case... the rest should be straight forward :)