ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fast Road / Sprint & Track Tyres

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Currently preparing my 172 Ph1 Clio for entering in the Scottish sprints this year, along with the odd hillclimb and trackday (particularly Knockhill and Superlap Scotland) Will be using it on the road also, although wont be my main car.
Going through my possible tyres choices and looking to see if anyone has advice / experience with using the following tyres in any of the above, also welcome to other reccomendations. Can be List 1a and 1b so not too restricted.

Yokohoma AD08R, Federal 595RSR, Toyo R1R

Currently got Parada Spec 2's on the rear (fronts are due replacement) so thought of going for the AD08's on the front for the time being and then maybe a set on rear also.
Iv had the R1R on my last car, dc2 integra and found them to be pretty bad in standing water. Unsure how much was to do with the car also.

And lastly, I know this has been covered before but though discussion would be nice rather than resurrecting an old thread

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
Nankang NS2-R in 120 soft compound (dry) and Uniroyal Rainsport 3 (wet) are the best two budget options if you can stretch to 2 sets,
If not probably Michelin pilot sport 3s. as they can still be used in the winter time on the road.

Mertin

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172&Ph2 172 Cup
Car wont be used in winter so least that opens up the option a bit more.
Hoping to be running two sets next year so can go for something more track focused and like you say have something for wet days / road tyre. Other option Id thought if for purely track was Kumho V70 in a soft compound.
All depends where I want to spend the money, lsd is high up the priority list.
Seen a lot of good review about the michelins and always wanted to try them and did give them thought, thought they were more road based though than fast road / track which made me sway more towards ad08r's

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
The main problem with sprints is getting the tyres up to temp quickly so sometimes a slightly softer sidewall helps,
The v70 is great but expensive the ad08r struggles a little in the cold and wet, as crap as they are on track the Toyo T1r when shaved down to 3mm was the tyre to have in 1a in dry conditions as it was a softish compound and and the sidewalls allowed it to get to temp quickly.
the only advice i have on hard sidewall 1b's is experiment with the pressures around 2-4 psi below normal when cold to try to generate the heat.

Cayman S, RB 182
I have ad08r on just now and rate them highly both on track and road. Pounded them at knockhill, great in the dry and even on the wettest day ever, I was fearing for my life to start with but still managed to get the heat in them and they were awesome! But dodgy in the snow that we had on monday but hey Ho.

Plus for 280 for a set of 15s they are very reasonable