ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Favourite set up?

Clio 172 Flamer
So I have been looking at a few different options to springs/coilovers, uprated bushes and shocks.

Just wanted to have an idea of user's ideal set up of suspension.

Looking at getting a RARB as well.

Pictures and posts please?

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
What will it be used for?

A-roads?
B-roads?
motorways?
Trackdays?
Racing?

Clio 172 Flamer
More B roads than anything else, probably wouldn't opt for coilovers.

Was thinking Eibach springs, standard shocks for now (just pick some new ones up) unless there are any recommended, then getting powerflex bushes with a whiteline ARB, new to it so was after some tips on a good set up.

Cooksport springs, Cup shocks, fresh OEM bushes wishbones etc, will drive lovely with a firmer/stiffer ride than standard but still perfectly useable as a daily.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Cooksport springs, Cup shocks, fresh OEM bushes wishbones etc, will drive lovely with a firmer/stiffer ride than standard but still perfectly useable as a daily.

+1

I think for me this is the ideal setup for a road going 172/182

And even on track its not terrible so long as you dont start comparing it to properly prepped race cars (I noticed at croft that our road 182 feels like sailing a boat after my very track focussed mk1!)

Clio 172 Flamer
Thanks for the advice, what's the reason no to go for powerflex, are they more for track use?

So for the ideal set up, what are we looking at?

Springs, shocks, bushes, RARB, wishbones (?)

Just want to know before I start buying stuff, I see a lot of people on here just ask for the cheapest springs to get their cars lower but personally think that with suspension, you get out what you put in with regards to money, correct me if I am wrong.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Thanks for the advice, what's the reason no to go for powerflex, are they more for track use?

They dont last as long on a road car, and they dont offer any advantage over new OEM ones that you will ever notice on a public road IMHO.

Springs, shocks, bushes, RARB, wishbones (?)

Just want to know before I start buying stuff, I see a lot of people on here just ask for the cheapest springs to get their cars lower but personally think that with suspension, you get out what you put in with regards to money, correct me if I am wrong.

Rack bushes are important too, might be worth going powerflex for those as the standard ones arent great and degrade especially quickly if they get oil on them.
Ive not personally tried the poweflex ones though, I bought a set intending to, but then decided to go EPAS rack instead which is solid mounted so no worries about bushes.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
I like cup dampers and eibachs (ive never tried cooksports) that mixed with fresh bushes, track rods, rod ends etc is brilliant on the road.

im running 182 cup dampers with trophy eibachs the now while my Sachs are being rebuilt and its brilliant!

got a set of 182 hubs and brakes for my DCI too so I can put the 182 cup setup on it with 182 springs when its off the trophy as the apex -60mm is too stiff for a runabout!

Clio 172 Flamer
ok cool, thanks.

Just want to make sure I get it right and don't miss any main spuspension upgrades, will probably work on this in the next month or so.
I suppose brand of springs comes down to personal preference within reason right?

I am not overly keen on going drastically low as country roads will not mix well with that.

Clio 172 Flamer
Chip, how do you fancy checking my list for me? Helping a newbie out before I start ordering the wrong stuff ;)

i'll be forever grateful aha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
It makes sense to check the condition of existing parts first, no point replacing track rods if they are nearly new anyway etc, so cant really do a definitive list for your car of what bits should be done.
Suspension top mounts is another to replace, but again no point if they are fine.

Iceberg 172
+1 cooksports. I run them on standard dampers, and watch out for pot holes.

They sit lovely too.

Clio 172 Flamer
Well the only reason I was looking into upgrading the suspension was due to a squeak that leads me to thinking it is a bush. Done a little research and it seems to have the symptoms.

I am also led to believe that the bush is a bit of a full on job to do so figured, whilst I am there, I can get it done + being a new car, it gives me better piece of mind that it is all tip top.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I consider a full front end refresh to be:
Suspension top mounts
Shocks
ARB bushes
Track rods
Track rod ends
Steering rack mounts
Wishbones

Steering rack as well can have play, but thats a really big cost/labour compared to the rest
Wheel bearings if any play too

Clio 172 Flamer
cool, ok well I am sure I have bored you enough with my lack of knowledge on this subject ;) so I will have a search, order a few bits and go from there.

Cheers for all the help matey, much appreciated.

TK

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Anything that helps people enjoy these cool little cars more is far from boring to talk about mate :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes they look like they would work well.

Or you could go with the pure motorsport ones that many of us on here have used and got on well with:

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=143

The thing that would keep me personal loyal to the pure ones is that its so easy to get replacement bearings in future:
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=145

Or they also do a very heavy dury pre-loaded one as an option too:
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=180

Although you are unlikely to benefit from that last upgrade unless you are planning on jumping humpback bridges etc, lol.

Clio 172 Flamer
Yes they look like they would work well.

Or you could go with the pure motorsport ones that many of us on here have used and got on well with:

http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=143

The thing that would keep me personal loyal to the pure ones is that its so easy to get replacement bearings in future:
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=145

Or they also do a very heavy dury pre-loaded one as an option too:
http://www.pure-motorsport.co.uk/details.php?itemid=180

Although you are unlikely to benefit from that last upgrade unless you are planning on jumping humpback bridges etc, lol.

PLANNING? I do that already

As much as I wish that were true, I haven't got the bottle to do that sort of driving, nor the money for fines and replacement parts haha

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I had more bottle than talent at cadwell on thursday, I wouldnt recommend it, lol.

5AAC970A-440B-4C87-B2BE-1F7EE30A43D8-3936-00000606265F35DF_zps785e8121.jpg

Clio 172
Interesting thread!

Does anyone know the reason Cooksport is having so much difficulty getting the springs back in stock for the 172?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Interesting thread!

Does anyone know the reason Cooksport is having so much difficulty getting the springs back in stock for the 172?

My best guess:

Josh developed them cause he was interested in doing so and is a very talented driver who is good at such things, he then priced them competitively with little margin for making very much profit, and consequently its not really worth his time to stay on top of it massively as its only a tiny bit of pin money for him and he is a very busy man so he just orders a set in now and then and when they are gone they are gone then eventually he orders some more, its not core business for him.

Clio 172 Flamer
My best guess:

Josh developed them cause he was interested in doing so and is a very talented driver who is good at such things, he then priced them competitively with little margin for making very much profit, and consequently its not really worth his time to stay on top of it massively as its only a tiny bit of pin money for him and he is a very busy man so he just orders a set in now and then and when they are gone they are gone then eventually he orders some more, its not core business for him.

Which is different from a mainstream approach that just puts the prices up after they start taking off ;)

Clio 172
Ah awesome! - I didn't realise it was an enthusiast making them. From what I've read he's developed an extremely competitive spring with the like of Eibach, so hopefully he does well out of it.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Josh can properly pedal, which is why its not surprising his springs work so well.

But being a racing driver not a retailer as his main role, his customer service sucks the fat one, but its worth the effort to get some if you are patient!