ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Feel like my photography has reached it's limit.

This has been bugging me for months now, and I don't know why it's the case. So I feel the need to get this off my chest.

I've been into Photography on and off since I got the D40 for my 18th (2 and a half years ago), and back into seriously since I discovered flickr (about October/November last year).

My photography started improving a bit, and now it seems to not only have hit a peak, but seems to get worse. I haven't really developed a style, and pretty much every image I take now just looks average or crap in my eyes. It's winding me up ever so much!

I've always been fortunate to have a "creative" eye, ever since being a kid I've done well in Art, took Design at A Level, can draw well when I set my mind to it etc. So I can't understand why my photography has become so mediocre.

It's got so annoying that basically I'm very tempted to just stop bothering with photography apart from the odd car photo for forum threads.

Cupra
That's deep. Too deep for something that is a hobby! Unless you are planning on making a career of it then you don't have to worry about it IMHO.

I go for weeks without picking up my camera and pick it up for fun, not to push myself or develop a trademark style.

What are you hoping to achieve ultimately?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
What you need to do is push your photography in a new direction. So something you have never done before. I started shooting more low light sports at evening events and have enjoyed it more and more.

Its pushed my ideas, processing, editing and composition so much harder than before.

What I would say is do the same. Maybe head out somewhere with one lens, ideally a prime and force yourself to focus on composition. Pushing the boundaries is the only way I can keep my standards up.

I'd love a career in it but that's not realistic at all. I just wanted to improve but I feel I've got worse, plus I've just lost all heart in it.
I pick the camera up once a week, take a w**k photo for my 52 and be done with it. Before I used to pick the camera up for something to do when I was bored, would enjoy taking photos, and used to look at things and think they would make a great photo etc. That doesn't happen anymore!

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Where abouts are you at? If you local or close to London, I can give you a shout for any events I have going in.

Oil Burner
I found my 52 too difficult, didnt make more than a few weeks, the 1 thing i hate trying to do it produce a good photo under pressure.

Just take your camera with you when you go out places. Look at others photos/blogs. Maybe experiment with different styles. e.g Fast/Slow Shutter speeds, Wide angle/telephoto etc...

I do this inside my chosen subject. I was finding it very bland, but i borrowed a friends 10mm and started wandering the pitlane without purpose (i cant sell these photos) and its actually had an affect on the rest of my photography too.

koi

Audi S1
I gave up on my 52 because I just ended up taking crappy pics just to keep it going.

Ever thought about doing an evening course to brush up your skills? I'm going to start a camera techniques course in September.

Fiat Panda 100hp
I'd love a career in it but that's not realistic at all. I just wanted to improve but I feel I've got worse, plus I've just lost all heart in it.
I pick the camera up once a week, take a w**k photo for my 52 and be done with it. Before I used to pick the camera up for something to do when I was bored, would enjoy taking photos, and used to look at things and think they would make a great photo etc. That doesn't happen anymore!

Me too mate, but I think it's just because I've done it to death, and now I want 'something' to photograph that's different from what I've done before. I would love to shoot something different everyday, but at the moment I'm stuck in most nights / days due to just buying a house. Legal fees etc and killing us lol.

But try and find something free(ish) to do at weekends, events, walks, sports etc and you'll look forward to doing that rather than mundane subjects.

That's what I do anyway.

Ben

Where abouts are you at? If you local or close to London, I can give you a shout for any events I have going in.

North Yorkshire, a bit far but thanks.

I found my 52 too difficult, didnt make more than a few weeks, the 1 thing i hate trying to do it produce a good photo under pressure.

Just take your camera with you when you go out places. Look at others photos/blogs. Maybe experiment with different styles. e.g Fast/Slow Shutter speeds, Wide angle/telephoto etc...

I do this inside my chosen subject. I was finding it very bland, but i borrowed a friends 10mm and started wandering the pitlane without purpose (i cant sell these photos) and its actually had an affect on the rest of my photography too.

I know what you mean, but it winds me up more. I see a lot of stunning photography, even on here, then look at my mediocricy and think, "well thats toss." I only have 2 lenses too, 18-55 Nikon kit lens and 55-200 cheap sigma.

I gave up on my 52 because I just ended up taking crappy pics just to keep it going.

Ever thought about doing an evening course to brush up your skills? I'm going to start a camera techniques course in September.

Maybe I should pan the 52. Sod a course, I've really got to start blitzing my NVQ for my apprenticeship in evenings.

I've hit a bit of a lul, too. Even after spending nearly £400 on a 10-20mm! lol..

I don't know what it is, but things just seem more of a struggle. Given up with my 365 as I just couldn't find anything I deemed good enough and it seemed to change from being a challenge to a chore.

I've got some things I want to try but it's finding the time. I'm happy with the progression i've made over the last 6months, so that'll do for me! lol..

Just try and enjoy things a bit more. Photograph something complete different. Keep an eye out for a 50mm. Cheap enough and eeeeeeeeeveryone loves a bit of f1.8 ;)

You done any motorsport/panning photography Gaz? If you're free at the weekend I can get you a free ticket for the racing at Croft - give you something new to try if you've not already. Will even lend you my 70-300 if you need a longer lens to play with :)

Focius ST
also feeling the same gaz not so long ago bout a d60 then got a nikon 55-300mm lens and i am just really stuck for ideas we do live in a poor location. might be worth getting a few people together with cameras and go to york or somewhere one night for photos

also feeling the same gaz not so long ago bout a d60 then got a nikon 55-300mm lens and i am just really stuck for ideas we do live in a poor location. might be worth getting a few people together with cameras and go to york or somewhere one night for photos

Lol. Funny but true! No wonder so many people turn into crackheads round here eh.

Focius ST
certainly is me and my mate are in exactly the same situation both got the gear but no ideas might ata go try force some ideas one night. do u buy photography magazines theres a good couple of ideas in this months digital photography that look pretty good

Focius ST
aww ok its crap when you get stuck for ideas i should be full of them im always doing sum sort of sport but i think id rather be doing it then taking photos lol

Megane Mk4
Although it still goes everywhere with me, Must admit, since Renault World Series, mine hasn't been out of the bag TBH.

mace¬

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio
I'll +1 for the DIYs from photo mags, some aren't practicle but the ones that are really work for ideas.

Next step for me is to make one of those DIY lightboxes, and get a nifty fifty :) I do toooo much Motorsport stuff. Would be up for a mini-meet if people were up for it as suggested.

I wouldnt let it get to you mate, just take a relaxed attitude and still take lots of pictures, even if you arent satisfied with the artistic quality you will still have the moment captured for memorys sake.. :)