ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Few cars at work today....

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
F7437878-A02B-4D02-A555-B0B94059656B.jpeg
80E2C42A-2BF4-4927-89D1-2DB319155FE6.jpeg
ED1B57CF-9627-4C72-890A-05F0B122BA21.jpeg
CDEA4FEA-D10A-4506-9FC6-1A791F11A334.jpeg
81C2B539-AE26-49DC-B55E-2900EA11949D.jpeg
4BD73B90-9382-4C6E-9C3E-ADD22E5EEE10.jpeg
7F4D5E92-F425-49D3-B6F6-07BF3665D0FD.jpeg
B01F4872-4A04-4FB7-9B60-BDCCD550A37E.jpeg
F7A09266-631B-4E4A-8FC9-07E7F871DB73.jpeg

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
What do you do?

Looked like there was some lovely cars there. God the Senna hurts my eyes though. What a fugly car.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
😍😍😍 The McLaren F1 road car, my favourite car ever. Bit of a story why too, but if I ever have enough money to by any form of McLaren road car I will.

Don't think I will ever be in a position to by an F1 road car!!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
😍😍😍 The McLaren F1 road car, my favourite car ever. Bit of a story why too, but if I ever have enough money to by any form of McLaren road car I will.

Don't think I will ever be in a position to by an F1 road car!!
We all said the same yesterday. I’m friends with the guy who was sales director of the F1 project and have a model he once gave me to apologise for bombing on a meeting due to 2 Japanese clients clashing with our slot to buy one each - would have been late 90’s when they were changing hands for less than a million quid 😳

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
We all said the same yesterday. I’m friends with the guy who was sales director of the F1 project and have a model he once gave me to apologise for bombing on a meeting due to 2 Japanese clients clashing with our slot to buy one each - would have been late 90’s when they were changing hands for less than a million quid 😳

When I was 11/12 years old I was obsessed with cars and drawing cars. It was also a really sad time of my life. I wrote to all the major car manufacturers, one of which was McLaren and in particular Gordon Murray. I sent a picture of the F1 I had drawn. The F1 had just been released as a prototype and in all the car magazines.

I didn't really expect to get much back, especially as McLaren were only a small company in comparison to some I had written to. A few weeks later I received a personal letter from Gordon Murray thanking me for my picture and encouraging me to continue with my drawing. I was personally invited to visit the showroom in London to see the car.

I also received a tube in the post, which contained large prints of the prototype and the engine. It is something I remember to this day.

My auntie took me to the showroom in London. I took my letter from Gordon Murray with me. The lady there let me into the showroom and showed me all round the car. I was allowed to sit in it. I was in there for some time and could not believe it. They made me feel really special that day.

I still have the letter and pictures that were sent to me. I collected several models and memorabilia over the years. When the Wife met me, the pictures were in the front room of my house 😂

To this day I remember how Gordon Murray and McLaren treated me. I was so grateful. I have followed McLaren closely from that time in my life until present. If I ever have the opportunity to own a McLaren I definitely will.

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
I love hearing this kind of thing mate. I’ve always said that half of owning a classic or special car is its back story and why cars make people smile.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
When I was 11/12 years old I was obsessed with cars and drawing cars. It was also a really sad time of my life. I wrote to all the major car manufacturers, one of which was McLaren and in particular Gordon Murray. I sent a picture of the F1 I had drawn. The F1 had just been released as a prototype and in all the car magazines.

I didn't really expect to get much back, especially as McLaren were only a small company in comparison to some I had written to. A few weeks later I received a personal letter from Gordon Murray thanking me for my picture and encouraging me to continue with my drawing. I was personally invited to visit the showroom in London to see the car.

I also received a tube in the post, which contained large prints of the prototype and the engine. It is something I remember to this day.

My auntie took me to the showroom in London. I took my letter from Gordon Murray with me. The lady there let me into the showroom and showed me all round the car. I was allowed to sit in it. I was in there for some time and could not believe it. They made me feel really special that day.

I still have the letter and pictures that were sent to me. I collected several models and memorabilia over the years. When the Wife met me, the pictures were in the front room of my house 😂

To this day I remember how Gordon Murray and McLaren treated me. I was so grateful. I have followed McLaren closely from that time in my life until present. If I ever have the opportunity to own a McLaren I definitely will.

That's a really lovely story! Always got the impression that Murray was a decent bloke, but that was really good of him and the dealer. The F1 remains the ultimate car to me. Others have gone faster, but I don't think they will ever come close to the McLaren.

If you haven't listened to the Collecting Cars podcast with Murray on it, I would definitely recommend it.

Mork of Ork

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Passat R-Line
Am I going mad or do those 17s on the F1 look much better than the 22s or whatever that modern supercars have fitted?

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member

This is a brilliant story. Just shows how something so small makes a huge difference!

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Brilliant pictures. I used to work for the same broker, would love to get into this side of the business. I assume its private clients? Looks a great day hope it was enjoyed!

andy_coops

ClioSport Club Member
  172, VRS, Clio 5
Brilliant pictures. I used to work for the same broker, would love to get into this side of the business. I assume its private clients? Looks a great day hope it was enjoyed!
No way! Hard work but very enjoyable. It’s great to see such amazing motors but also to meet some pretty interesting people 👍