ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear 2nite....

Turbos.
To be fair, why is it a silly test? Are you saying that British weather is sunny all the time? I was suprised that the Megane beat the Caterham with such ease.

more of a silly comparison then, dont mistake me for criticising it or being negative about it.

just quite different cars with different setups thats all, still brilliant to see

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I don't think it was a silly test at all , if anything it was probably one of their better tests .

It was a test to show how the R26R fares against what is basically a track orientated car , the Caterham . Yeah i know the 26R is marketed as more of a track / road car , but in reality and imo most won't ever see a track .

172//Crap Micra//Bus
I cant believe that was all!! Cool race, would have been better being longer than 5 seconds... Still awesome though

Trophy #490
That Caterham looked such a laugh though didn't it!? I know it was a lot slower, but I'd still choose that as my track day toy over the R26R. Couldn't believe how well the Megane coped with the conditions though, effortless pace. I'd of thought it would of been a right handful in the wet.

Turbos.
That is true, the Caterham looked far more fun, and would certainly teach you how to drive... problem is, you can just about use the Megane as an everyday car with a few options. The Caterham you wouldn't dream of using it all time...

Trophy #490
Oh definitely the Megane would cope the best as an everyday prospect out of the two, but if I had to choose between them based solely on track use the Caterham would be the more fun. Considerably slower as shown last night, but it looked a brilliant thing to drive and the noise was great!

The Caterham is strictly a second car though. The R26R is (just about) a weapon for all occasions!

172//Crap Micra//Bus
I'd honestly be more tempted to go for the 26R over that specific Caterham, but money no object, id take the 26R and the R500 tbh. Whats the price difference between them to cars... out of interest?

Turbos.
A base R500 is £38k! A heater is an option... and i'd want the sequential too, so getting near £50k for a bathtub on wheels.

3 x Renaults + Lexus
I thought the Chaterham would have been faster than the Meg on a tight short course but no.... If they were both "track day only" cars they would be transported on a trailer to the track (i know which i would rather travel in), maybe the Chaterham would have been faster on better tyres but maybe the meg would be with a remap you can only go off what they showed.

Seen a few mention the R500 but its £37K (it looks like £15K at best) and as brutal as you can get but then again maybe a Noble/Radical is a better and cheaper option to the R500 and EVO also put the R500 at number 3 in there car of the year but the R26-R won it....

Tangoed Works
my god that has just reaffirmed how s**t 5th gear is. absolutely no connection with the viewer whatsoever. r26r is just awesome though regardless.