ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fifth Gear missing?

Skoda Fabia VRS
Hi All,

I had a problem at lunch time with the gears, being unable to select 2nd or 3rd, so I looked at the posts on the forum.
I figured I Just needed to change the gearbox oil then all would be well.

Then, on the way home, I was accelerating slowly in 2nd gear then there was a bit of a bang. I pulled over to the Hard Shoulder but all seemed well so off I went.
When I got upto 5th gear it wasnt there! pressing the clutch and moving the stick where the same as usual but when I accelerated there was no resistance and the engine just reved up.

A local garage told me this problem sounds like a Syncro-mesh issue and recomended taking it to R£nault.

Any Ideas how much this will cost? Also is this a simple syncro mesh replacement, or a new gearbox? Im not too sure what is involved here!

(W reg 172, 72,000 miles)

Cheers

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I would start with the gear lever linkage to the gearbox, sounds like a broken cable to me.

The linkage broke on my old VTR and it was different to whats describes above. The gear stick was all over the place and you could only get it into first and second. Even engaged the stick was floppy.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Thanks guys.

I have booked it in to the local Reno Garage.
I will post again when I find out whats happened!

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
If the gear change linkage was out of adjustment or one of the linkages was broken, it could give exactly the result you describe. If the gears were not selecting fully, they would throw out as they are helically cut and need to be fully engaged to mesh.
I am not suggesting this is the only possible cause, but its a good (and cheaper) place to start looking.
Comments on the VTR are irrelevant.

Skoda Fabia VRS
I Like this last post... Cheaper = better!
Thanks BrianR

I just remembered that a few weeks ago, the car seemed to "Slip Out" of 1st gear. I wasnt sure if had my foot on the clutch of not, but this seems to agree with linkage issues now. Its booked in for this Wednesday so I will update then.

Cheers

BMW M135i
The Clio doesn't use a cable linkage by the way so i'm not so sure its that from what you've described. That and them having chocolate gearboxes if abused. Generally things get expensive when these sort of things happen with renault boxes.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
could it be 5th gear come undone? i know they used to, the bolt that holds the cogs comes undone but cant remember what happens when this fault occurs

Skoda Fabia VRS
Not sure what the exact problem was, but the verdict was a new box!

Proved to be about £1000 more than I was willing to pay. so I have traded the car in!:dead:

Im afraid to report that I have sold out and got a Skoda vrs.